new here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Debra J Bruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi thee. I've been driving a Tahoe since 2008. Still in good condition but am looking at buying a 2014 Yukon Denali. My question is, are the captain chairs better than the second row bench? Why or why not?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

One is not categorically 'better' than the other. It all depends on your particular lifestyle, the people and/or cargo that you need to carry or have access to, and what works best for those people or cargo. One advantage of the bench is more seating capacity; one drawback is that it's a bit more work for passengers to gain access to third row.

I have the captain chairs in mine and love the setup. Passengers feel like they've got their own real estate back there---and it's simple & quick for passengers to walk between for the third row.

What seats do you have in your Tahoe now, and what do you like or dislike about it?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
14 Yukon may have captains chairs that do offer a slight bit of recline, which my 08 LTZ and 13 LT bench did not.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with 08's assessment. The choice of chair style depends on your own needs and how many folks will typically be riding in the truck.

I have captain's chairs, but most of my driving is with only me and my dogs, with the captain's chairs rolled up. However, when I do have multiple passengers, they typically love the captain's chairs.

Last, the captain's chairs provides you with an opportunity to place something of particular value to you between the seats. Maybe a storage enclosure, or a sub-woofer. If constructed right, but can also serve as a table for the folks sitting in the captains chairs. For me, I chose the sub-woofer-table combination. One of my dogs also uses it as his own chair to sit on (hence the dog hair all over it), and look over my shoulder out the front windshield, while we are driving around.

Good luck on your choice, based upon your own needs.

Subwoofer.jpg

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14 Yukon may have captains chairs that do offer a slight bit of recline, which my 08 LTZ and 13 LT bench did not.

The captains chairs in my '08 LT3 have the recline feature. Very nice for custom comfort.