New Guy, Old Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all! Glad to have found this forum. I'm the very happy owner of a 2018 Z71 Midnight Edition that I love almost as much as my kid. The other day my wife asked me when I was going to trade it in. I paused for a minute to think about it, then turned to her and said, "When the wheels fall off." I've previously owned A Jeep Rubicon, but I've found that Tahoe is very capable off road, and does a bang up job towing our camper without any trouble. I recently discovered that making it 7 years on the factory battery isn't standard, so I'm in the market for a new battery and want something that will last just as long and handle the extra draw when the camper is hooked up. Any recommendations on a quality battery. Thanks for listening and I'm looking forward to digging into the forums for ideas from the community for the truck going forward.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you have a nice vehicle.

To match the performance of a battery with larger capacity, you may also want to consider swapping an alternator with higher output unit. They made several versions of alternators depending on application of the trucks and SUVs. You can refer to your rpo codes on your glovebox and RockAuto for different models.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day my wife asked me when I was going to trade it in. I paused for a minute to think about it, then turned to her and said, "When the wheels fall off."
I was asked that the same question the other day about that on my 16 Tahoe with over 160K miles. I said the exact same thing. Will just fix issues as they come up.

As far as of your Battery goes mine generally lasts 3 in my Hoe. Replaced it with AC Delco. On my second one now. Seems I might need another one soon. I Bought the Tahoe brand new in 2016.

Welcome from Miami&Queens NY!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I have recommended and used Interstate batteries for years. Alternator upgrades are great to do but first, check out what you have under the hood. Sometimes a different alternator will require a different size serp belt.

By the way, when you have/own a NBS Tahoe, then you have an "Older" Tahoe.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar