(New guy) - 2013 Tahoe LT - Tekonsha P3??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE FOR POSTERITY! Success! I was clearly making much ado about nothing. I found the wiring taped way up under the dash and pretty easily found the two wires under the hood. I used the eTrailer.com installation video for the 2011 model because the 2015 video works with the Plug 'n Play connector, and that wasn't available for my 2013.

I found a perfect flat mounting spot for the controller near the bottom of the dash more or less in line with the gas pedal. It worked so perfectly for this that I have to assume that they made that area specifically for mounting something like this.

I hooked up our camper and did the setup as the booklet showed, which was EASILY accomplished and at least for me, worked great with the default settings noted in the booklet. We took it for a 120 mile test drive on a loop that included flat highway, secondary roads and steep uphill & downhill sections.

As posted in the comments, wiring according to the video instructions leaves you with an ALWAYS ON connection to the controller. If the camper is NOT connected, the Tahoe will shut off accessories and whatever after a set time. If the camper IS connected however, I verified that it does NOT shut down the connection and the camper stays up and running.

Lastly, I am not good with electrical stuff, so watched the installation video a number of times and also read the booklet to be sure that I had the wiring connections right. I made this chart for myself to eliminate any potential senior moments:

Tahoe Brake Controller Wiring Info.jpg

I hope that this helps someone!

++++++++++++++

Hi, I have been driving a 2004 Tacoma for 17 years, until very recently. In celebration of retirement, I JUST bought a 2013 Tahoe LT 5.3 in very good shape with very low miles. SO MANY buttons, but I'm trying to figure it all out!

Our 44th anniversary is coming up in July and a seaside camping trip is planned. The problem is that I am stumped on the towing setup and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. By the time the camper and Tahoe are packed with us and all our crap, we'll probably be at 4000 pounds, and I wouldn't want to go with only the Tahoe brakes to stop us.

: It has the factory 7-pin connector & hitch

: The dealer said that it does NOT have integrated brakes, so I ASSUME he's right, but don't know for sure because I don't know how to check for that.

: On the wiring junction box diagonally up from the brake pedal, I see an unlock symbol on the plastic cover with two arrows < > but it doesn't come off easily and I'm afraid to break something. I am hoping to see in there a spot second from the left, where I might plug in a wiring adapter for the brake controller.

: I DO NOT see taped up loose wires, (as mentioned on eTrailer), so I'm assuming / hoping that means there IS a spot for a wiring adapter plug in there, if I could just get the cover off to see.

: I've grown even older trying to find the GM wiring adapter for my 2013 that fits the Tekonsha P3 and would let me use that controller in the Tahoe.

Any and all help would be most welcome!!

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been driving a 2004 Tacoma for 17 years, until very recently. In celebration of retirement, I JUST bought a 2013 Tahoe LT 5.3 in very good shape with very low miles. SO MANY buttons, but I'm trying to figure it all out!

Our 44th anniversary is coming up in July and a seaside camping trip is planned. The problem is that I am stumped on the towing setup and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. By the time the camper and Tahoe are packed with us and all our crap, we'll probably be at 4000 pounds, and I wouldn't want to go with only the Tahoe brakes to stop us.

: It has the factory 7-pin connector & hitch

: The dealer said that it does NOT have integrated brakes, so I ASSUME he's right, but don't know for sure because I don't know how to check for that.

: On the wiring junction box diagonally up from the brake pedal, I see an unlock symbol on the plastic cover with two arrows < > but it doesn't come off easily and I'm afraid to break something. I am hoping to see in there a spot second from the left, where I might plug in a wiring adapter for the brake controller.

: I DO NOT see taped up loose wires, (as mentioned on eTrailer), so I'm assuming / hoping that means there IS a spot for a wiring adapter plug in there, if I could just get the cover off to see.

: I've grown even older trying to find the GM wiring adapter for my 2013 that fits the Tekonsha P3 and would let me use that controller in the Tahoe.

Any and all help would be most welcome!!
Welcome from Idaho. I have that very brake controller on my 2007 Yukon (I personally think 2013 is the very best year for these trucks, you did good).

I can go out and look, I installed mine just after buying the truck new, so don’t remember exactly the procedure. I do know it was very simple and straightforward. The wiring was all there near the parking brake and a single power wire had to be hooked up at the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.

If you get stumped, just post up and I will go confirm where everything is.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. "YOGI" would be a great name for the rig, "BOOBOO".

OP
OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for a word of confidence! The immediate challenge is to get the COVER off that junction box under the dash so that I can see if there is a space for a wiring adapter.
Do you HAVE that cover on your vehicle? If so, what is the trick to removing it? :)

Thanks!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for a word of confidence! The immediate challenge is to get the COVER off that junction box under the dash so that I can see if there is a space for a wiring adapter.
Do you HAVE that cover on your vehicle? If so, what is the trick to removing it? :)

Thanks!

I will go out and climb down into the footwell and check. It has been a long time (like 14 years), but I think mine was just a bundle of wires taped up there with the plug on the end. But I do remember a box like you describe somewhere along my travels up under the dash.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

OK, the black box with the unlocked lock symbol is where my wire bundle comes out and is butt spliced to the harness that goes to my Tekonsha. I assume the brake control wires were bundled up inside it before I installed my controller. It looks like I had to do 4 butt splices from the Tekonsha cable to the truck harness. I colors are different between the controller and the truck harness, so if your instructions don't call that out, I can take a picture for you so you get the right colors connected on both sides.

I can't remember how that cover on the footwell wall under the dash comes off, but I think if you pull around where that unlock symbol is, it may pop off. I think it is there to guide you on how to remove the cover and access the harness inside.

OP
OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you! I did give it a tentative pull at the edges that the arrows point to, but when it didn't come with moderate force, I called it quits. :)
This is good news, because I can't find the bundle that even the owner manual talks about, never mind the eTrailer video.
I have more hope for this now than I did!!

Thanks again.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I did give it a tentative pull at the edges that the arrows point to, but when it didn't come with moderate force, I called it quits. :)
This is good news, because I can't find the bundle that even the owner manual talks about, never mind the eTrailer video.
I have more hope for this now than I did!!

Thanks again.
Just popped that black cover off. You just put your finger on the top sides and pry them sideways. If you do both top sides the cover will just swing down and be released.

Here is a picture of the back side of the cover. The two top wings get spread and they will release.

7901867D-49BF-4B0E-A64E-A0DCE7B926F8.jpeg

OP
OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just popped that black cover off. You just put your finger on the top sides and pry them sideways. If you do both top sides the cover will just swing down and be released.

Here is a picture of the back side of the cover. The two top wings get spread and they will release.

Thanks again! I'll take another crack at this in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645