Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Clearance is gonna need lift, at least a little, as has been said. You stray outside the norm of geometry and you rub unless you make/lift for clearance. That means more money for kits besides wheels and tires. You can do spacers, I never ever recommend, but if you want, go ahead. You still have to allow for clearance at the edges of the wheel well openings even with that depending on the spacers you use. You know what you want and I appreciate that but get the pocket book out. I get it, I really do and there are guys here that have done it and can probably tell you within $20 what the cost is. Good luck. By the way, I like the stock sleeper rigs myself.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind if you do go with wheel spacers is to make sure they’re hub-centric so the weight of the truck is supported by the hubs and not the lugs. There have been many instances of non-hub- centric spacers failing and the result can be catastrophic. There is a member here who just lost a wheel and he was running Rough Country lug-centric spacers with big tires. The correct spacers are safe when installed correctly. It’s also important to remove the wheels shortly after install and re-torque the lugs that hold the spacers on as well as occasionally check these.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind if you do go with wheel spacers is to make sure they’re hub-centric so the weight of the truck is supported by the hubs and not the lugs. There have been many instances of non-hub- centric spacers failing and the result can be catastrophic. There is a member here who just lost a wheel and he was running Rough Country lug-centric spacers with big tires. The correct spacers are safe when installed correctly. It’s also important to remove the wheels shortly after install and re-torque the lugs that hold the spacers on as well as occasionally check these.
100% great advice. I have a buddy who lost a wheel off his Jeep recently because he didn't understand this critical engineering detail. He described a moment of amusement as he watched his tire roll away right before he lost control and nearly flipped. Turned out okay, but lots of people weren't as lucky.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Personally I would stick close to the stock wheel arrangement and avoid going wider. Wider tires tend to be less effective on snowy roads. And as you decrease the offset clearance becomes an issue without lift. If you want a beefy look find some wheels that have a 26mm offset that you can put a set of BFG tires on. If you really want an aggressive looking and good performing tire in the snow go with a Goodyear Duratrac but be prepared for them to "sing" to you on the highway. They are loud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BessicaLoren

BessicaLoren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Clearance is gonna need lift, at least a little, as has been said. You stray outside the norm of geometry and you rub unless you make/lift for clearance. That means more money for kits besides wheels and tires. You can do spacers, I never ever recommend, but if you want, go ahead. You still have to allow for clearance at the edges of the wheel well openings even with that depending on the spacers you use. You know what you want and I appreciate that but get the pocket book out. I get it, I really do and there are guys here that have done it and can probably tell you within $20 what the cost is. Good luck. By the way, I like the stock sleeper rigs myself.
I appreciate all the info! I’m iffy on spacers myself. Seen/heard some horror stories. But deff considering the fact of spacers causing rubbing on the edges of the body as well. I’ve been doing some research on it and think I might go with a Rough Country 2” leveling kit…to start. Before I decide I truly want to drop the dimes on a full lift. That kit would allow me up to 32” of leg room for rubber. On the other hand - truck is a business expense. So while I’m careful about what I want to spend … I wouldn’t mind perfecting the truck aesthetically lol. You have some good points, and curious if you might know instead of spacers… I should be aiming for a specific offset to achieve the wide stance?

OP
OP
BessicaLoren

BessicaLoren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally I would stick close to the stock wheel arrangement and avoid going wider. Wider tires tend to be less effective on snowy roads. And as you decrease the offset clearance becomes an issue without lift. If you want a beefy look find some wheels that have a 26mm offset that you can put a set of BFG tires on. If you really want an aggressive looking and good performing tire in the snow go with a Goodyear Duratrac but be prepared for them to "sing" to you on the highway. They are loud.
I’m considering a 2” leveling kit to assist with a little more clearance but nothing crazy. Looking like 32” is going to be my max diameter without any offset changes.

OP
OP
BessicaLoren

BessicaLoren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
100% great advice. I have a buddy who lost a wheel off his Jeep recently because he didn't understand this critical engineering detail. He described a moment of amusement as he watched his tire roll away right before he lost control and nearly flipped. Turned out okay, but lots of people weren't as lucky.
Jesus! Exactly why I joined this forum. Most shops around here don’t give this sort of information and experience. I’m very iffy on the idea of spacers and thinking an offset, if any.. is a safer option. Thank you for this!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like a stock set up but with a lot of hidden handling gems but there are some very sharp people here that will chime in with their knowledge of just what you are trying to accomplish. They will steer you straight. @George B has already started and other will show up. Looking forward to the pics, we all like lots of pics, when you start the work. You can go to the home page and go to bottom and see "Under Construction" and start a build thread there to post pics and each step as you go thru the "gettin' it the way you want it" process. Mine is there along with gobs of others. Many with your same model rig that have done some things that you can see how was done and the results.