New fuel pump = empty tank reads 1/4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and another annoying thing when i park it in my driveway and the needle is close to a quarter tank and it sits overnight it wont start i have to go get gas in my gas can accross the street and come back and put in the tank just to get it started

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

from what ive read ive got to replace the fuel level sensor and ive got to remove the god dam fuel pump to do this
does this sound about right ?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes and remember that any tilt in the the frame/body while stationary or in motion will give a different indication then when it is level. this kinda means the fuel is moving. just a tad bit. not to much. but just a tad bit.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
4drs use a long rectangular plastic tank with no baffles. can't remember if the 2drs or burbs do. but i lean on the side of no because they are more boxed in. metal ones in those i thought.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig is a 1998 2-door. I had the tank down a month ago. No baffles in tank. I put a Delphi pump in. All is good. Quiet operation, quick starts and a working fuel gauge! On a side note, I was amazed how clean the inside of the tank was. 16 years and 250K miles later and it was pretty damn clean inside.

99Vortec

Reaction score
4drs use a long rectangular plastic tank with no baffles. can't remember if the 2drs or burbs do. but i lean on the side of no because they are more boxed in. metal ones in those i thought.

Mine's a 4 door...

And the fuel needle has started jumping all over the place.

Did you figure yours out AZ?

I had this problem once on a different vehicle, and it was a damaged electrical line leading from the tank to the gauge.

I did end up having to drop the tank and manually actuate the float lever to find the culprit though.

Augh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris