new Carven TR muffler/Performance Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HD_LS

Reaction score
Did they do any welding, when they installed the muffler? Welding can cause stray currents & voltages that can damage one of the modules.

OP
OP
E

Em Vee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they do any welding, when they installed the muffler? Welding can cause stray currents & voltages that can damage one of the modules.
Yes they welded the muffler on. I will check under there and see if they might have burnt any wires or anything.
I am also thinking the steel wheels are making it slouchy too. They are 42 pounds each according to Pro Comp. Thats HEAVY.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they welded the muffler on. I will check under there and see if they might have burnt any wires or anything.
I am also thinking the steel wheels are making it slouchy too. They are 42 pounds each according to Pro Comp. Thats HEAVY.
True, but your issue sounds bigger than heavy wheels.

Re-reading your post, you also installed new wires and plugs at the same time? Or were you just listing what had been done since you purchased it?

If those were done at the same time, I’d definitely be looking into the plugs and wires, making sure they’re as they should be. I had ARH longtubes installed at a very reputable shop, and at the same time, he did ARP bolts in the headers and plugs and wires since he was there. But dude is an exhaust guy, not a mechanic.. I had 3 or 4 plugs actually loose in the holes. Wires were installed ok though. Heh.

OP
OP
E

Em Vee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the car was running bad since I got the muffler installed. I got the plugs and wires done the next day because I thought maybe the plugs and wires were old, but it still drove the same even after.

OP
OP
E

Em Vee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
True, but your issue sounds bigger than heavy wheels.

Re-reading your post, you also installed new wires and plugs at the same time? Or were you just listing what had been done since you purchased it?

If those were done at the same time, I’d definitely be looking into the plugs and wires, making sure they’re as they should be. I had ARH longtubes installed at a very reputable shop, and at the same time, he did ARP bolts in the headers and plugs and wires since he was there. But dude is an exhaust guy, not a mechanic.. I had 3 or 4 plugs actually loose in the holes. Wires were installed ok though. Heh.
Well the car was running bad since I got the muffler installed. I got the plugs and wires done the next day because I thought maybe the plugs and wires were old, but it still drove the same even after.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you all for your input. I found the problem. Clogged Catalytic converter. Problem is now fixed.
Glad to hear it was identified. Interesting that this wasn’t identified until after the muffler install.. :confused:

OP
OP
E

Em Vee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
according to the muffler shop it became more noticable with the new muffler because of the change in flow. Going from a really big 22" muffler to a small 14" muffler caused a change in flow especially in the low rpm range. Now that the catalytic converter was changed it feels like a new car again. Im just happy that it drives better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC