New autoride oem front strut install complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Per chance a guy at work approached me and asked if i wanted to buy a pair of new ACDELCO 580-434 front struts for $300. Absolutely! Just finished the install and am sooooo pleased with the improvement in ride quality and chassis control in turns at speed. I was at 143,000 miles on the original fronts and the passenger side had developed an audible "groan" when the strut would travel. The ride height in front is slightly higher now, possible new strut precharge gas pressure? Not noticeable to anyone but me. I was about to access the ALC/Autoride relearn on the tech2 but it said to refer to service manual prior to begining, im not going to try and BS my way through the procedure so it is time for the alldatadiy subscription! The rear's are next on the list, Not likely to find another deal so full pop at rockauto, The compressor has never glitched so that will remain in place for now. Staying OEM gives great satisfaction with the "as new" results/reliability after install. To anyone out there wondering if new oem struts are worth the cost,IMO absolutely!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our collective knowledge and experience base has been increased.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Just to add a little "do sht twice" info. The three mount bolts on top of the spring/strut assy will install only one way into the chassis/tower, If you fail to clock/index the new strut into the coil spring assy correctly the lower two strut mount bolts wont be orientated correctly! Dont think youll just spin the strut to line it up correctly cause there is just way to much tension to do it! so back to compressing the coil and spinning the lower half of the strut to correctly align the two lower strut to A arm mount bolts. make a mark on the upper spring seat that lines up with the lower strut to A arm position. Also note the lower strut bushing is installed with "camber" to fit the lower arm "flat" when mounted.

Last edited:

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you completed the relearn? I was unaware of such a thing. I replaced my struts and shocks and feel like the ride is considerabley harsher/stiff. Curious to what this does with ride comfort.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
relearn is a no brainer, just park it level, unloaded, hang the tech2 out the window, do the alc trimset procedure on the tech2, done.