Negative effects of a tuner, and supporting mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
Im new to the gas game, been driving diesels for the last 15 years. I’m looking for something to make my 2016 Tahoe a little more spunky. Are there any negative affects when adding a tuner? Do I need to add an exhaust and intake to benefit, or can I benefit from just a tuner like blackbear?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need to change anything else but I would say a lot of people change at least the intake tube and maybe delete a resonator or add a more robust muffler, but it's a matter of person preference, a tune alone will wake it up a bit, and if you really want to go balls out add a supercharger! it just money :laughing1:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 Tahoe 4.8 and 13 Suburban 5.3 are both Black Bear tuned.

Probably the best $$ mod I did to both trucks IMO.

Plenty of the K2xx style have been tuned. Worth a look and search the site for many positive reviews either in person or by email wth the AutoCal. I did both versions.

Good luck.

mattsmall1972

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the middle of this process. I have done this following things in this order, with this reaction:
1) AFM delete - Awesome, it seems to have better response!
2) 89 Octane gas: holy crap! I didn't know an additional 2 octane would make so much difference!
3) AFM Intake: OK, it sounds like a race car when accelerating and just keeps getting faster!

Next steps:

4) In the middle of a BlackBear tune. I've sent my files in and am waiting on the response.
5) Magnaflow muffler is on the way.

I will also be lowing by 2 inches with springs and helper tow bags.

It's starting to be silly how much better performance can get with a few simple mods and a little bit of $$$.

I will say that I will stop after the muffler. I don't need to be supercharged.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of this process. I have done this following things in this order, with this reaction:
2) 89 Octane gas: holy crap! I didn't know an additional 2 octane would make so much difference!
3) AFM Intake: OK, it sounds like a race car when accelerating and just keeps getting faster!

Next steps:

4) In the middle of a BlackBear tune. I've sent my files in and am waiting on the response.

It's starting to be silly how much better performance can get with a few simple mods and a little bit of $$$.

Well none of us NEEDS to be supercharged but it sure the hell is fun, and combined with the right suspension/ lowering package these things can be amazingly nimble and quick. But I agree a good tune is the best bang.

Jeremy Biagiotti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017.. added a free flow exhaust, cold air intake and tuned with HyperTech... Huge difference! Very fun to drive. I will say that if you add an exhaust, turning off the AFM is key, otherwise youll get an annoying drone when it hits 4cyl mode. Sounds like shit,,

16rgs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Next steps:

Matt, how much did the MPG go down with the AFM delete? Thinking about it but curious as to the MPG.
Thanks, Keith

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im new to the gas game, been driving diesels for the last 15 years. I’m looking for something to make my 2016 Tahoe a little more spunky. Are there any negative affects when adding a tuner? Do I need to add an exhaust and intake to benefit, or can I benefit from just a tuner like blackbear?
I have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2, Gibson extreme cat-back dual exhaust, Airaid MIT, and a Black Bear Performance ECM/TCM custom performance tune. The Black Bear performance tune for both the ECM and TCM made a very significant difference in the performance on my Yukon. The low RPM performance is dramatically improved, meaning the same or better responsiveness and performance with less foot on the gas pedal. When you do punch it, the transmission does not switch to the higher gear, until you are just about at the red line, to extract all of the power that the 6.2 can deliver. Up and downshifting associated with normal driving, particularly city driving, is much smoother. And an additional bonus is that Black Bear provides you with a copy of your stock ECM and TCM tune settings, so if need be, you can re-flash the ECM and TCM back to the stock tune in 10 minutes. I hope that this is helpful to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy