Needing help identifying what's missing - front drivetrain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blurred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, any and all help would be appreciated.

I am working on replacing the missing components for the front drive train and want to make sure that I have everything for when it comes time for it to be installed, so I need some help. I have been looking over parts diagrams and everything to make sure of it, but the problem I have is that I don't necessarily know what is still on the truck and what I have to pick up...

Currently, I have no faults on the inside and I can hit the 4wd selector which blinks a couple times then lights up as if it's engaging.

Right now, I know I need the following:
a front drive shaft
u-joint
slip yoke
front differential (geared to match the rear)
two CV axels
the bolts/nuts to mount everything up
I assume I need two 4wd hubs based on the below photos.

Based on these photos, am I missing something on my list.. Also, apologies if my terminology is incorrect?

Looking back at the transfer case from the front
IMG_20151208_154118918_HDR.jpg

transfer case
IMG_20151208_154138854_HDR.jpg

Looking forward where the front diff should be
IMG_20151208_154150047_HDR.jpg

back of the driver's side spindle
IMG_20151208_154158400_HDR.jpg

across to the passenger's side spindle
IMG_20151208_155517260_HDR.jpg

and the electronic something or other... Can't think of the name at the moment.
IMG_20151208_155604136_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Any idea why the last owner took it all out ? I know you have a lot missing but don't rule out a transfer case problem when it's all back together. By the sounds of your list you should be ok. Best thing is to go to a wreckers and dismantle your self. That way you get what you need and know how to put it back together. Gear ratio should be in your vin and in the glove box codes

OP
OP
blurred

blurred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the bane @SLCHOE

Stopped by a pick and pull today and looked at their inventory. Found a 3.73 diff still in a suburban that looked like what I need. Looked that over to get an idea how it's all bolted up.

As for the rear differential, I'm leaning towards what the rpo and vin says (4.10s) but just want to make sure.

And I have no clue why the front was removed. It's lifted a little up front so I'm assuming it was either gas mileage, front went out due to age or wear once the tbars were cranked or they swapped the gearing in the rear to something different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts