Need upgrade for off grid property

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings, I am new to this forum and I am hoping for some advice.

I have a 2004 Tahoe 4x4 all stock suspension and wheels running standard road tires. I just bought some property in Northern Arizona and will be taking regular trips to it. There is 16 miles of rocky and washboarded dirt road to access the property. I am concerned that the suspension system might not hold up over time with the washboarding and occasional bigger rocks. I am planning to get some new tires as well.

Any recommendation on what tires hold up well to rocky gravel dirt roads?
Any insight on how to upgrade the suspension to hold up to 16 miles of washboarding and rocks on a regular basis?

Thanks !

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the Falken AT3 tires, they do great in sand and have a tough sidewall that doesn't mind being aired down. For suspension I'd mostly make sure everything is in good shape and when something fails or wears out upgrade instead of a direct replacement. I think the biggest upgrade to washboard and rocky road ride quality without spending thousands of dollars is airing your tires down to 12-15psi.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving replies, and there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this Forum off-road their trucks, and they will chime in.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Stay away from heavier tires like E rated stuff that some off-road enthusiasts favor. They will give a harsh ride. Any good first tier tire will do; I’m partial to BFG. Buy the road hazard warranty whatever you get.

Fox or King shocks would be a good upgrade. A long stretch of washboard will get your shocks nice and hot, this is probably the most critical part. Bilstein I don’t care for, the digressive valving makes them ride harshly in small disturbances in the surface.

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really like the Falken AT3 tires, they do great in sand and have a tough sidewall that doesn't mind being aired down. For suspension I'd mostly make sure everything is in good shape and when something fails or wears out upgrade instead of a direct replacement. I think the biggest upgrade to washboard and rocky road ride quality without spending thousands of dollars is airing your tires down to 12-15psi.
Thanks Dan! very helpful. Any websites you know that could give me a basic tutorial on the stock suspension system of a 2004 Tahoe? I can do a few things on cars but I don't have any experience and only basic knowledge of the suspension system... but I'm good at watching youtube videos and buying tools!

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving replies, and there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this Forum off-road their trucks, and they will chime in.
Thanks for the reply Joseph, I am not sure how to add photos. I looked in the signature section of my account and there was only the option to add a URL link

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stay away from heavier tires like E rated stuff that some off-road enthusiasts favor. They will give a harsh ride. Any good first tier tire will do; I’m partial to BFG. Buy the road hazard warranty whatever you get.

Fox or King shocks would be a good upgrade. A long stretch of washboard will get your shocks nice and hot, this is probably the most critical part. Bilstein I don’t care for, the digressive valving makes them ride harshly in small disturbances in the surface.
Hi Bill and thanks for your input, the road hazard warranty is something I wasn't even aware of. Would you recommend getting a different set of wheels/rims other than stock? Also what size tire should I be looking at if it is something different than my stock 265 70 R16 112T? I am still trying to establish what size wheels/tires would fit on a non lifted 2004 Tahoe. Any idea how to figure that out?

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Dan! very helpful. Any websites you know that could give me a basic tutorial on the stock suspension system of a 2004 Tahoe? I can do a few things on cars but I don't have any experience and only basic knowledge of the suspension system... but I'm good at watching youtube videos and buying tools!
Would you recommend getting a different set of wheels/rims other than stock? Also what size tire should I be looking at if it is something different than my stock 265 70 R16 112T? I am still trying to establish what size wheels/tires would fit on a non lifted 2004 Tahoe. Any idea how to figure that out?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t recommend larger tires if ride quality is important. Larger = more mass = more unsprung weight and suspension responsiveness diminishes. You don’t need bigger tires for clearance on a graded road. The wheels you have now are perfect.

Airing down can help, if you don’t mind airing up again when you return to the pavement. I’d be running 20-25 psi normally driving roads like that with a factory size tire. Pressure is somewhat speed dependent. If you’re going faster you’ll want to err on the high side to prevent pinching a sidewall from a high speed impact. Slower you can air down more and get a more cushioned ride.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC