Need transmission advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still running the stock motor. As far as the tranny, it still works, nothing major broken, just shifting weak and engine light says trans slippage. Is $1200 reasonable? Depends on parts list I guess.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I shopped it was about $1200-1500 for a rebuild. I also know of a tranny shop that's been around for many years and anyone I know talks good about them. Personally I'd go for the rebuild.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it says slipping it's only a matter of time before those clutches and the band are bare void of friction material ... $1200 is an OK price. I dropped $1400 on parts and am doing the labor myself.

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total was $1350. 1yr warranty. Picking her up tomorrow, I will post parts list. Thanks for all the advice.

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 1350 is a pretty good price for a rebuild, especially if its a performance rebuild. I had mine rebuilt for 2200. That was a full performance rebuild, i had them put in all new high performance bands, clutches, a beefed up sunshell, higher stall convertor, new planetarys, billet servos, 1st through 4th, full trans go shift kit, and they also replaced all the electronics in the tranny, and the put in a bigger tranny cooler for free which i thought was pretty awesome.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 1350 is a pretty good price for a rebuild, especially if its a performance rebuild. I had mine rebuilt for 2200. That was a full performance rebuild, i had them put in all new high performance bands, clutches, a beefed up sunshell, higher stall convertor, new planetarys, billet servos, 1st through 4th, full trans go shift kit, and they also replaced all the electronics in the tranny, and the put in a bigger tranny cooler for free which i thought was pretty awesome.

Does that thing shift smooth as butter now? $2200 included install or just the tranny?

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is the list they gave me. Complete master overhaul kit, new torque conv., pump gears and turbine stator? tough to read. corvette servo, updated sunshell hardened steel, fluid, filter. Any opinions please. I drove it home and it feels great. Like a new truck. $1350, 1yr warranty.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4L60E pumps are vane driven, not gear driven. Not sure why they would do a stator shaft and pump rebuild, for that cost they probably could have put in a new pump ... Maybe they put in a hardened shaft??

Can't really tell what kind of clutches or steels are in a "Complete master overhaul kit".

You should get specs on the convertor ...

The new hotness in sunshells is the Sonnax Smart Sunshell, it's a beast sunshell with a couple other upgraded parts that distributes the load a lot better then the std setup.

For $1300 it's not bad if they did the work ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo