Need help with lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droysden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to clear 37's to 40's with 20" wheels on my 97 2 door Yukon but don't know how much lift ill need. help would be much appreciated

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basic Chevy lift rules to clear tire sizes without cutting and retaining as much turning radius as possible:
7-9” for 35s
10-12” for 37s
12-14” for 40s

Range and results depend on the look you want and how much you want to cut and how wide you are going on wheels and tires. Example: 35x15.50 is like trying to clear a 37 so you would actually want the 10-12” lift if you aren’t willing to cut the truck and sacrifice turning radius. It all depends on exactly what you want. Do you want it skating or stuffed or normal? You want squat or lean? Rake? Are you willing to sacrifice turning radius for looks? All that plays into choosing what lift you need to clear what tire/wheel setup.

OP
OP
D

droysden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Basic Chevy lift rules to clear tire sizes without cutting and retaining as much turning radius as possible:
7-9” for 35s
10-12” for 37s
12-14” for 40s

Range and results depend on the look you want and how much you want to cut and how wide you are going on wheels and tires. Example: 35x15.50 is like trying to clear a 37 so you would actually want the 10-12” lift if you aren’t willing to cut the truck and sacrifice turning radius. It all depends on exactly what you want. Do you want it skating or stuffed or normal? You want squat or lean? Rake? Are you willing to sacrifice turning radius for looks? All that plays into choosing what lift you need to clear what tire/wheel setup.
I'm wanting it to clear the 37's with out any problems. and I'm looking at a 37x12.5-13.5x20

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting it to clear the 37's with out any problems. and I'm looking at a 37x12.5-13.5x20

A lot of post on other forums say you can do it on 9” of lift with that body because of the bigger square wheel wells but most report trim plastic. I would go with a 10” kit. You’ll clear 37s nicely no trimming. And then be able to fit 40s later with a small body lift or some minor trimming. I’m not a professional by any means, definitly talk to the lift company you decide to go with to confirm it will work and you can also ask them if there is anything else they recommend doing extra with the kit.

OP
OP
D

droysden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A lot of post on other forums say you can do it on 9” of lift with that body because of the bigger square wheel wells but most report trim plastic. I would go with a 10” kit. You’ll clear 37s nicely no trimming. And then be able to fit 40s later with a small body lift or some minor trimming. I’m not a professional by any means, definitly talk to the lift company you decide to go with to confirm it will work and you can also ask them if there is anything else they recommend doing extra with the kit.

okay great thanks for the input! I've been looking at lift companies and the only place I can find that sells a lift of that size is Full Throttle Suspensions but all of the contact info is wrong on the site. would you have any recommendations on a good company to use?

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay great thanks for the input! I've been looking at lift companies and the only place I can find that sells a lift of that size is Full Throttle Suspensions but all of the contact info is wrong on the site. would you have any recommendations on a good company to use?

No problem bud glad to help, but I don’t know anyone to get a kit from or who would be best for that year. It’s definitly harder with the older trucks.