Need help replacing AC evaporator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the whole dash already ripped out and ready to go but I need help and guidance as to what to do now to replace the evaporator. I have another thread about replacing it along with my transmission (which are both ripped out right now) but I wasnt getting much feedback on it. Help is greatly appreciated, I'd like to get the dash buttoned up again before I get all the parts for my tranny later this week. Thank you!

Dash1_zps8874ce91.jpg
Dash2_zps91337af1.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you need to remove the hvac unit and open it up. and BTW since you have it out grab all new seals and weatherstripping where ever you need it and make sure firewall gaskets are in good shape. or just replace them. th unit is in between the blower and temp door motor inside. any particular help or info you need?

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I was wondering what else I could replace while I have it all apart. Does anyone sell an actual seal and weatherstipping kit or it is all going to be handformed? And who sells the best general weather stipping to use? I'd like to also get some to redo my rear hatch. But thanks for the info on the evaporator, I was just wondering if there were any special things to pay attention to or if I have to remove anything from the engine bay to get the HVAC out of the dash

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
gmpartsgiants.com still has some as well as lmc.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

got to remove the nut or bolt from engine bay. and make sure the unit is spotless inside after repairs. it is good to have a nice clean unit. BTW can you get me various angled pics of the recirc door motor when you get it out and before?

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked on the Tahoe a bunch this morning and having trouble getting the HVAC unit apart. I have taken out all visible little screws, nuts, wire clips, and all wired connects have been taken apart. Also took two bolts out of the engine bay that looked like they couldve held it in place. Does it come out all as one piece or does it come apart piece by piece because I could see it going either way. I can see the piece to replace but I cant get to it quiet yet. Thank again!

Fan2_zps7a523a17.jpg
Fan1_zpsc4a6efdb.jpg
Fan3_zpsaa8b3e9a.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i believe it comes out entirely so as to get to some screws in back. where is the recirc door motor supposed to be exactly? or better yet grab all the pics you can from different angles still if possible. i want to start a collection of them on everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I found a few way back against the firewall but I'll have to look again. Ill be working on it a lot more this weekend and I'll get a bunch of pics for you as it comes out. I should be getting my tranny bolted back up onto it tonight and then work on the dash some more.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this thing called and can I buy it individually from Napa? The old part is reusable but Id rather just replace it right now while it's ready to go back on.

TahoeAC_zpsfd87ad1d.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

I have a wholeeee bunch of good dash pics for you later sunlitcomet. Haha. Almost all back together now

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
drier/accumulator. it absorbs the moisture in the system. the shell can be reused but it is the desiccant inside that cant. get a new one.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thank you. Is there anything i should put on the threads when I attach it to the evaporator and hose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz