AC evaporator calls it quits at 32K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My warranty expired in November of 23 and it doesn't sound like they will extend me a courtesy.
$3800 bill is predominately coming from the high labor to remove the dash assembly. I would want proof from the dealer that they found a leak in the evaporator before paying them to replace it. New evap is ~$175 at the online parts warehouses. 1234YF refrigerant charge is 1KG, which is about $100 in refrigerant.

Let's say the dealer charges $175 labor rate (extra generous) - that means it will take them ~20hrs of labor to R&R the evaporator and recharge the system.

Get a second opinion.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always buy an extended warranty from one of the online Dealers that sell the warranty at a discount. At least you would have something to show for your money. It’s cold now for a couple of months so no AC needed and then take it to a different Dealer. Lots of electronics on these newer vehicles that are expensive to repair.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always buy an extended warranty from one of the online Dealers that sell the warranty at a discount. At least you would have something to show for your money. It’s cold now for a couple of months so no AC needed and then take it to a different Dealer. Lots of electronics on these newer vehicles that are expensive to repair.
I have been looking for a forum Dealer with discounted warranty. My dealer doesnt even sell the GM protection warranty only Ally. I got my Mercedes warranty from dealer on forum for a huge discount. Do you know of a GM dealer on here?? Than ks

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is ANY record of the vehicle being in for this condition, prior to warranty purchase, the claim will be denied... Fair warning.....
This is why warranty needs to be bought long before you go off of factory warranty.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3800 bill is predominately coming from the high labor to remove the dash assembly. I would want proof from the dealer that they found a leak in the evaporator before paying them to replace it. New evap is ~$175 at the online parts warehouses. 1234YF refrigerant charge is 1KG, which is about $100 in refrigerant.

Let's say the dealer charges $175 labor rate (extra generous) - that means it will take them ~20hrs of labor to R&R the evaporator and recharge the system.

Get a second opinion.

+1. I think 20 hours of labor would be excessive for this job.

malba2366

Reaction score
+1. I think 20 hours of labor would be excessive for this job.

I would get a second opinion, but dealers almost always use the book hours for a given job. An experienced tech could probably do it in much less time, but you would have to go to an independent mechanic to get a better price.

It is probably less than 20 hours, the labor rate for most dealers is well over $200 an hour these days. It is a time consuming job, they have to take the entire dash apart, replace the evaporator then vacuum evacuate the system before recharging...so it is not a quick repair. I had to have the evaporator coil replaced on my home system and it took the guy most of the day to do it, and that was pretty easily accessible.

This is probably a repair I would have done at the dealer, or someone who specializes in AC repair. If you take it to some random low cost repair shop they may not properly evacuate the system and you will have even more problems down the road.

Last edited:

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
I think 20hrs of labor is about right from start to finish mostly the finish with evacuating the system charging etc and tool clean up, his time doesn't stop till he parks the vehicle and signs off.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evaporators usually don't fail or leak...
They do. It's pretty common. Debris gets into the box and condensation keeps it wet. Eventually a small pin hole leak forms where it touches. Happens all the time.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evaporators usually don't fail or leak...

They do. It's pretty common. Debris gets into the box and condensation keeps it wet. Eventually a small pin hole leak forms where it touches. Happens all the time.

Maybe it's a matter of relativity.

My experience is that compressors, condensers, AC expansion valve, and/or o-rings at HVAC line connection points tend to fail sooner than an evaporator or a heater core. I've never had to replace a evaporator or heater core before I had to replace one of the aforementioned components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019