Need help identifying finned coolers in front of radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aquacure

Reaction score
I'm assuming the larger one in the middle is the transmission cooler. The tall skinny one to the right? Power steering maybe?

This is an 03 Z71, do you think the stock transmission cooler is adequate for towing a 22' deck boat or should I upgrade??, most trips would be less than an hour one way.

thanks in advance for any input.
ATTACH]
61CAE8E4-AA82-46B2-B006-FC573E1C003B.jpg

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Middle is tranny, right is power steering, like you thought. If it's short trips, and not every weekend, I would stick with the stock one. It's probably not worth the money to upgrade IMO. But its up to you, is your hour trip hilly? A bigger cooler will always help the tranny last longer and stay cooler when you do tow.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a trans temp gauge, keep an eye on the temp. If you don't have one, I'd upgrade the cluster so you have one, so you know if your tranny is getting hot in the first place.

OP
OP
aquacure

aquacure

Reaction score
I should have mentioned its gonna be flat arkansas/mississippi delta. Good advice from all, definitely interested in the temp guage just to see whats going on. Whats an acceptable towing temp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack