Need help finding 12v & Grnd for Radar install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maks_D.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did it! Thanks for info ,very helpful. 2015 Tahoe LTZ

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419455323155.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419455323155.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 125

NickTahoe15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to hosseface, the install was a lot easier than I expected.
I took out the harness that connected my V1 to the mirror connector on my 2007 Tahoe, and put it in the new Tahoe.

here is my system, a V1 with a Remote indicator which sits on the dash, and my home made harness.

14413049342_a1bfea233d_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

If you want to build your own harness , I created a schematic. It's not easy to splice into telephone cable, but it's possible if you have a some soldering experience. Be sure to use heat shrink tube to insulate all the joints.
If you don't have the ability, go to www.invisicord.com and buy a harness with the pins on it. They make one that goes just to the detector, I don't know if they can make one that goes to the remote as well.

14227729728_492b8047a5_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DO ALL THE FOLLOWING WITH THE IGNITION OFF
Here is the covered electronics behind the mirror. Use a small screwdriver or trim removal tool to pry the cover from the windshield. Pry at 2:00 , 5:00
8:00 and 10:00 O'clock.

It will pop loose, then remove the cover insert by pulling the sides apart and lifting the insert out, there are small catches on the sides near the top of the insert.

here is the view with the cover off.

14227691769_18e8ef7784_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here is the connector that you want. I could not get the connector out, but that made no difference for my needle tipped harness. You are looking for the violet/green wire at term #2, and the black wire at terminal #5
They are in the row farthest away from you.

14410972721_dc3458af3c_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

AT this point, BE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF
I then shoved my pins down into the connector, adjacent to the two wires . They will stay in place. I have done this on both my old Tahoe and my Corvette, and my wife's Lexus. Note the red sleeved pin is the 12 volt pin and it goes to the #2 wire, and the black goes to the #5 wire.

NOTE: the fuseholder had to be moved to the right behing that group of wires going to the other connector, because it interferes with the cover snaps when I tried to reinstall the cover.

14227729908_a8c73924e9_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I reinstalled the cover, and mounted the V1 with it's suction cups. The Valentine suction cups are awesome. I have used them in 3 Tahoes and 3 vettes, and they have NEVER let loose.

14227729698_6827641dd6_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I routed the wire up under the headliner at the top of the windshield, over to the upper left corner, whereI tucked it under the a pillar moulding, then behind the door seal, then behind the fusebox cover on the left end of the dash, and out through the rubber cover for the Steering wheel in-out lever.

here is the remote as I mounted it. The reason for the remote is the main V1 remains dark ( stealth mode) and all the alerts appear on the remote, and it has a mute button which is easier to reach than the main V1 unit. I really like the arrows which tell me if the radar is in front or behind, but I sure wish that the V1 had an adjustable auto-mute.

14227729858_631845efdf_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

And here is the remote, all lighted up at turn-on. Yes I only have 152 miles on the Tahoe. I really love the new Tahoe, it is a real step above my 2007. I ordered the LT model in Champange silver, 4 wd, bucket 2nd row seats, my link radio with nav, and the integrated trailer controller. I only wish I could have the car without the 3rd row seats.

So that's the install, good luck with yours, and many thanks to hosseface for his help.
Jerry

14413178824_f782a213d9_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

How long of a cord do you think I need? I want to order a harness from that site and don't want to have too short of a cable. Thank you.

bevosrevenge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Many thanks to those that contributed to this thread. The advice was most helpful.

Two notes:

The connector can be removed with needle nose pliers at the 6 and 12 position.

If you use the invisicord, like I did, you will need to taper the taps with a dremel to about 1/2 the original width in order to get them to insert in the hot and ground locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yahtzee

Reaction score
Many thanks to those that contributed to this thread. The advice was most helpful.

Two notes:

The connector can be removed with needle nose pliers at the 6 and 12 position.

If you use the invisicord, like I did, you will need to taper the taps with a dremel to about 1/2 the original width in order to get them to insert in the hot and ground locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a BEL sTI Magnum (undetectable and I live in VA). It has the same phone jack connector (RJ-11) that the V1 has but I don't need any addtl wiring for any smart remote, etc. Has anyone seen a pre-made wiring kit that would allow for plug and play with a 2016 Yukon XL Denali?

Bueker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have info on a retained accessory power "RAP" for an '08 Tahoe? I see the info regarding the Invisicord however I'm using a SmartCord with my Passport and the power leads back down under the dash. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

powderbrake

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I don't see anything on the newer models (picking up a 16 Yukon XL Denali tonight). Am I blind?

Sorry, I missed the 2016. If the wiring in the connector behind the mirror hasn't changed from 2015 to 2016 then the same Invisicord should work.

You can check it with a voltmeter before you install it.

yahtzee

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the 2016. If the wiring in the connector behind the mirror hasn't changed from 2015 to 2016 then the same Invisicord should work.

You can check it with a voltmeter before you install it.

Thanks. I'll have to grab one of those. Very little experience with electrical. In my bmw, I used a wire tap on the sunroof power wire for it. Assuming this is just as simple, once everything is apart. I ordered the invisicord last week.