Need help finding 12v & Grnd for Radar install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powderbrake

Reaction score
I just got my 2105 Tahoe today, and I am going to install my Valentine 1 on suction cups on the windshield next to the mirror, just like on my 2007 Tahoe.

On the 2007, I made a special harness that plugged into a switched +12v and Ground on the back of the mirror, but the 2105 has no plug on the back of the mirror.

Has anyone removed the plastic cover that is on the windshield in front of the mirror?, and if so, how do I remove it?

Next question, can anyone tell me which wires in there are switched +12v and Ground with the ignition switch? I can test until I find a switched 12v, but guidance will save me a lot of time.

If all fails there, I may use the fusebox on the driver's side dash end. I would have to make a new harness, as it is split to go to the Valentine 1 and to a remote display which I will mount on the steering column. (The remote display adds a mute switch and volume control, and turns off the display on the V1 so it's not visible at night)

Any help would be appreciated. I will photograph my install and post it here for help to other forum members.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2105 Tahoe today, and I am going to install my Valentine 1 on suction cups on the windshield next to the mirror, just like on my 2007 Tahoe.

On the 2007, I made a special harness that plugged into a switched +12v and Ground on the back of the mirror, but the 2105 has no plug on the back of the mirror.

Has anyone removed the plastic cover that is on the windshield in front of the mirror?, and if so, how do I remove it?

Next question, can anyone tell me which wires in there are switched +12v and Ground with the ignition switch? I can test until I find a switched 12v, but guidance will save me a lot of time.

If all fails there, I may use the fusebox on the driver's side dash end. I would have to make a new harness, as it is split to go to the Valentine 1 and to a remote display which I will mount on the steering column. (The remote display adds a mute switch and volume control, and turns off the display on the V1 so it's not visible at night)

Any help would be appreciated. I will photograph my install and post it here for help to other forum members.

It's scary in there. Lots of wires, minimal slack and that cover is a pita to get off. I'll get my wiring diagram at work tomorrow and post back.

Attachments

• 20140521_214134.jpg
    20140521_214134.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 330
OP
OP
P

powderbrake

Reaction score
It's scary in there. Lots of wires, minimal slack and that cover is a pita to get off. I'll get my wiring diagram at work tomorrow and post back.

Hosseface: You are the MAN !!! :cheers:

How do you get the cover off ? I'll look for the info later today.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright - when you take the cover off there is a 10 pin connector on the driver side of the enclosure. (There are multiple connectors. Its the only 10 pin furthest to the driver) Pin #2 is a Violet/Green wire that is 12 volt key on only power. Tap into that one for 12V power. Pin #5 is a Black wire that is ground. That is your other one. Mine turns off (thankfully) when the key/ignition (push button) is turned off.

Pics coming soon. The cover (carefully) just pops off. I recommend wire taps - dont try to cut and splice. Not enough slack.

20140613_091214.jpg

20140613_091237.jpg

20140613_091257.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

powderbrake

Reaction score
Thanks to hosseface, the install was a lot easier than I expected.
I took out the harness that connected my V1 to the mirror connector on my 2007 Tahoe, and put it in the new Tahoe.

here is my system, a V1 with a Remote indicator which sits on the dash, and my home made harness.

14413049342_cdb2eb7223_b.jpgSystem by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

If you want to build your own harness , I created a schematic. It's not easy to splice into telephone cable, but it's possible if you have a some soldering experience. Be sure to use heat shrink tube to insulate all the joints.
If you don't have the ability, go to www.invisicord.com and buy a harness with the pins on it. They make one that goes just to the detector, I don't know if they can make one that goes to the remote as well.

14227729728_492b8047a5_b.jpgV1 Harness by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

DO ALL THE FOLLOWING WITH THE IGNITION OFF
Here is the covered electronics behind the mirror. Use a small screwdriver or trim removal tool to pry the cover from the windshield. Pry at 2:00 , 5:00
8:00 and 10:00 O'clock.

It will pop loose, then remove the cover insert by pulling the sides apart and lifting the insert out, there are small catches on the sides near the top of the insert.

here is the view with the cover off.

14227691769_18e8ef7784_b.jpgCover removed by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

Here is the connector that you want. I could not get the connector out, but that made no difference for my needle tipped harness. You are looking for the violet/green wire at term #2, and the black wire at terminal #5
They are in the row farthest away from you.

14410972721_dc3458af3c_b.jpgConnector by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

AT this point, BE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF
I then shoved my pins down into the connector, adjacent to the two wires . They will stay in place. I have done this on both my old Tahoe and my Corvette, and my wife's Lexus. Note the red sleeved pin is the 12 volt pin and it goes to the #2 wire, and the black goes to the #5 wire.

NOTE: the fuseholder had to be moved to the right behing that group of wires going to the other connector, because it interferes with the cover snaps when I tried to reinstall the cover.

14227729908_a8c73924e9_b.jpgPins in connector by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

I reinstalled the cover, and mounted the V1 with it's suction cups. The Valentine suction cups are awesome. I have used them in 3 Tahoes and 3 vettes, and they have NEVER let loose.

14227729698_6827641dd6_b.jpgV1 installed by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

I routed the wire up under the headliner at the top of the windshield, over to the upper left corner, whereI tucked it under the a pillar moulding, then behind the door seal, then behind the fusebox cover on the left end of the dash, and out through the rubber cover for the Steering wheel in-out lever.

here is the remote as I mounted it. The reason for the remote is the main V1 remains dark ( stealth mode) and all the alerts appear on the remote, and it has a mute button which is easier to reach than the main V1 unit. I really like the arrows which tell me if the radar is in front or behind, but I sure wish that the V1 had an adjustable auto-mute.

14227729858_631845efdf_b.jpgRemote installed by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

And here is the remote, all lighted up at turn-on. Yes I only have 152 miles on the Tahoe. I really love the new Tahoe, it is a real step above my 2007. I ordered the LT model in Champange silver, 4 wd, bucket 2nd row seats, my link radio with nav, and the integrated trailer controller. I only wish I could have the car without the 3rd row seats.

14413178824_f782a213d9_b.jpgRemote lighted by Jerry Eddens, on Flickr

So that's the install, good luck with yours, and many thanks to hosseface for his help.
Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a better alternative to the suction cups!

http://www.blendmount.com/valentineradarmount.html

Works great!

KY2015Denali

The main problem I have with those is they obstruct a decent amount of the windshield. The 2015's have such a small windshield to start with, I wanted mine up as high as possible. I also buy into the higher mounting will pickup/see over vehicles better as well.

I do like them on other vehicles though.

AWSMBLU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main problem I have with those is they obstruct a decent amount of the windshield. The 2015's have such a small windshield to start with, I wanted mine up as high as possible. I also buy into the higher mounting will pickup/see over vehicles better as well.

I do like them on other vehicles though.

Hi have you had any problems with the V1 going off all the time , rear arrows going off?