Need catalytic converters replaced prior to tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the shop. Did a full break down of the 5.3, replaced just about every major component except the lower end. Stage 3 cam with DOD delete, but my mech says he can't tune it because I gave it to him with a full tank of regular gas.

Not the only reason he wants to wait though. Headers are done, I need to do the CAI and he says I need to replace the cats because they have 172k miles on them and are causing restriction.

Of course we discussed removing them completely, but I'd like to have cats, I just don't know what a good flowing replacement would be for a mild 400 hp motor without going og and/or breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the shop. Did a full break down of the 5.3, replaced just about every major component except the lower end. Stage 3 cam with DOD delete, but my mech says he can't tune it because I gave it to him with a full tank of regular gas.

Not the only reason he wants to wait though. Headers are done, I need to do the CAI and he says I need to replace the cats because they have 172k miles on them and are causing restriction.

Of course we discussed removing them completely, but I'd like to have cats, I just don't know what a good flowing replacement would be for a mild 400 hp motor without going og and/or breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?
How does he know they are causing a restriction? I’ve seen these cats run 400K miles.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does he know they are causing a restriction? I’ve seen these cats run 400K miles.
Don't know. Previous owner ran the vehicle for a long time with a misfire though, so I wouldn't be surprised. Cam was bad, alomg with bearings, lifters, push rods, rocker arms etc...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know. Previous owner ran the vehicle for a long time with a misfire though, so I wouldn't be surprised. Cam was bad, alomg with bearings, lifters, push rods, rocker arms etc...
Ah, that'll do it. A consistent misfire or dead cylinder will take out the cat on that bank of cylinders in short order.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy recomended welding in dynomax bullets because they look like cats for inspection. I'd rather have a high flow cat though.

I'll check out those magnaflows 992dr mentioned.

Any other suggestions?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like the sound with cats for a daily driver family hauler. It's basically a tiny muffler haha.

From searching the Magnaflows have gone up quite a bit but, I think they are worth it. You can also look for ss spun cats and see what comes up. I think as long as they are metallic cores you should be good.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as stated above find out what a good cat setup you should be running. between your tuner and such they will give you the deets as performance is all they do. to get the cats u want it will be semi custom anyway so they just need to tell you type. order size to match what u have and get them welded in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal