Need Advice on Torsion Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoss81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and basically joined to get some better information on what/how/where I can find new torsion bars for my 2004 Tahoe LS 4 door.

The truck has 168,000 miles on it, and I use it to tow a 20' ATV trailer with 2 ATV's and a side by side.

The truck has performed very well, I purchased it with 90k on the clock, and haven't had a single problem with it.

Over the last year, I've noticed that the front suspension just feels hard, in early fall of 2013 I took some time to crawl underneath the truck, and noticed that the truck is riding on the bump stops in the front. The torsion bar keys are tightened down all the way, and the front Hex part of the key has rounded the edges of the torsion bar. The bars need replaced.

My biggest question is, what are my options for replacing them? From what I can tell, the 4 door Tahoe/Yukons use a shorter bar than the rest of the GM truck lineup. Is there any aftermarket company that is making torsion bars for these trucks? I would prefer one with maybe a slightly stiffer spring rate, as to hopefully avoid wearing out for the remainder of the time I own the vehicle.

Any information would be super helpful. I've found a few things on the net about this, but most of the articles are 5-11 years old, and I haven't seen anything with any kind of recent information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck