Need Advice on Speakers and install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcopco

Reaction score
So I bought a pioneer avic nex 8100 and got the idatalink maestro interface. I'm planning on installing that myself. I have a 09 Tahoe Hybrid and want to replace everything but am starting here. How difficult is all the installation do you ask think and also should I get something different? I want to restrain add much stock functionality add possible. Will my xm plug right in with the maestro or do I need more stuff. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I want to replace all speakers after this then add sub and amp. When I replace speakers I will remove bose amp and replace. Is the Hu going to be fine with all stock until I can get the rest done or will it suck?

Thanks
Mcopco

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be pretty plug and play. I did a similar install on my 09 and retained all functionality except i swapped the stock XM receiver for the pioneer one but got an adapter use the factory antenna.

Just crimp your wires, plug and play. pretty straight forward install. With the right adapter you can also retain steering wheel controls.

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
So when reviewing Youtube videos it looks like the XM module is actually behind the glovebox. Is that the tuner? And if so does anyone know if the Maestro will tap into that to interface it into my head unit or will the XM module have a normal plug into the back of the factory head unit that I can plug into the new one? I assume that would be to much to hope for. Car audio was much easier before XM and navigation and all this jazz. Get some power plug in your fm antenna and your speakers and your off to the races. :)

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when reviewing Youtube videos it looks like the XM module is actually behind the glovebox. Is that the tuner? And if so does anyone know if the Maestro will tap into that to interface it into my head unit or will the XM module have a normal plug into the back of the factory head unit that I can plug into the new one? I assume that would be to much to hope for. Car audio was much easier before XM and navigation and all this jazz. Get some power plug in your fm antenna and your speakers and your off to the races. :)

The antenna adapter below is for your AM/FM
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-GM10...336&sr=8-1&keywords=gmc+yukon+antenna+adapter

This one will let you use a Pioneer XM unit with the factory antenna
http://store.xmfanstore.com/xm-radi...googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120

The unit in the glove box area is just the XM tuner module. You can use it with your Maestro unit but IMHO it is not very user friendly. It puts your Pioneer unit in AUX mode and you need to use the steering wheel controls with the radio info displayed in the speedo DIC. For about $60-80 on eBay you can get an XM dedicated module and use that nice head unit. Everything else should be pretty plug and play.

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
Went ahead and bought one. They are actually free on crutch with a mail in rebate anyway. I'm thinking I may still need something to extend the antenna sure from globe box to behind head unit.

OP
OP
M

Mcopco

Reaction score
I'm trying to use the stock just because it's already there. We will see what happens though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM