Need a replacement FOB for a 2013 LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harrim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One of my FOBs recently stopped working plus, the case will not seal shut. I replaced the battery but no go. Seems like I need a replacement but all research says I have to go to the dealership. All online sellers including amazon have Fobs but for whatever reason they say they don’t work with the 2013 model. Also, the 2013 doesn’t have the programming feature of the earlier models. Does anyone have other alternatives or suggestions. Dealer wants $150 plus an hour’s labor to program.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my FOBs recently stopped working plus, the case will not seal shut. I replaced the battery but no go. Seems like I need a replacement but all research says I have to go to the dealership. All online sellers including amazon have Fobs but for whatever reason they say they don’t work with the 2013 model. Also, the 2013 doesn’t have the programming feature of the earlier models. Does anyone have other alternatives or suggestions. Dealer wants $150 plus an hour’s labor to program.

I think you can buy a Dorman fob from many autoparts stores that comes with a programming tool that plugs into your ODB port and will pair the car and remote. Online they usually go for for under $100 (more features closer to $100 (like remote start), fewer features closer to like $75).

Edit: I think this is what you need - https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/remote-keyless-entry

Reaction score
Like what wsteele said above, some of the Dorman ones come with a limited use (like only 2 or 3 times) OBD dongle that will make the vehicle enter the keyless entry fob learning mode. When you learn new remotes, you need to do all of the remotes you have for the vehicle at that time, otherwise it forgets them.

Or, if you live near someone with a Tech2, they can do it for ya, or maybe call a local locksmith and see what they charge to program one. Then just buy either a factory or aftermarket one off ebay that's correct for your vehicle and buttons/options.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 fobs off Amazon for 24 bux and went to local llocksmith and they programed them for $ 35 each, my truck is 2011 and must be programed with a tech2 or dealer or good locksmith.

This brand is what I bought but without remote start.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a newly purchased Tech2 now if your anywhere close to SW oklahoma I would gladly help out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to my local locksmith, and for $75, I received a GMC fob, as well as the locksmith programming the fob to my truck. The entire task took about 15 minutes from arriving to departing.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the responses. The stealership wanted $165 for the FOB and $190 to program it. Spoke with a Locksmith in the area and he said he could sell me one and program it for $75. Have a 2:30 appointment today.

I replaced mine 3+ years ago for $75, as previously posted in this thread. It looks like this is one item where inflation has not yet affected it. :)

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a couple of these for my 2010 Denali and love them. Only difference was I could program on my own through the DIC.