Need a close-up picture of power steering hose routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taylorb71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 chevy tahoe 4x4 5.3l with vacuum assist brakes NOT hydro boost.

I just need a picture of the hose routing for the pressure line from the pump to the steering box.

This vehicle was owned by a questionable mechanic who did his own repairs and the hose must have been replace by him before because it was routed so the hose bent towards the passenger side right away and then down towards the ground, after that it bent back up to the pump barely clearing the power steering pulley and rubbed a hole where it was resting on the steering box itself.

The new hose I got (sunsong 3401355) from our local parts store just does make any sense on how it would go from the box to the pump. Just not bent right. At this point I'm not even sure the hose that I took off of it was the right one either.

Any help is appreciated!

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but it's what is in GM Service Information.
TifToGif.gif

1. Remove the power steering inlet hose (2) from the power steering pump (1).
  2. Remove the power steering inlet hose (2) from the power steering gear (4).
  3. Remove the power steering outlet hose (3) from the power steering gear (4).
  4. Remove the power steering outlet hose (3) from the power steering cooler (5).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 chevy tahoe 4x4 5.3l with vacuum assist brakes NOT hydro boost.

I just need a picture of the hose routing for the pressure line from the pump to the steering box.

This vehicle was owned by a questionable mechanic who did his own repairs and the hose must have been replace by him before because it was routed so the hose bent towards the passenger side right away and then down towards the ground, after that it bent back up to the pump barely clearing the power steering pulley and rubbed a hole where it was resting on the steering box itself.

The new hose I got (sunsong 3401355) from our local parts store just does make any sense on how it would go from the box to the pump. Just not bent right. At this point I'm not even sure the hose that I took off of it was the right one either.

Any help is appreciated!
unless you bought the hose for a 2001 they could have gave you the hose for a 99 because 99/00 was a change-over year, some were made old body and some new body style. so always shop 2001 to ensure you are getting the correct part. unless yours is the old body style in which case you would want to always shop for 99 parts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

OP
OP
taylorb71

taylorb71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The part number that I got shows it's for and 01 as well. I was able to get a number off the old hose so that is what I just swapped the other hose with. We'll see if this fits better. That diagram does show me a general routing of the hose, which is different than how this guy had it.

I will get some pictures of it, nothing special but will be doing quite a bit to it. Rebuilding the trans this weekend which is the main thing.

OP
OP
taylorb71

taylorb71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, sunsong part number 3401061 worked. It is for a rwd model. Not sure why this one fit perfect with correct routing but the 4wd hose didn't. I also don't get why they would be different especially since the hose routes straight up and around, going no where near the front diff.

Anyway it's sorted now! Now all I need to do this weekend is drop the trans and replace the 3-4 clutch pack & pistons, band, put the corvette servo in and my 1000 dollar tahoe should be good enough for the ice fishing season! Pics will come when is gets a wash lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum