Mystery Part - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I pulled my BCM today to check the connectors, and as I pulled it out of the holder this metal u-shaped piece dropped down. It's less than an inch long.

I could not find any place that it would go, so does anyone know what it might be? I'm thinking it was dropped when someone worked on the cluster, or something else above the BCM.

TIA

Clip1_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why the connector check? Never removed mine.

Just thoroughly checking off things due to an intermittent parasitic draw. Wanted to make sure all the pins and wires were good.

OP
OP
Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, it was clean. Not much rust in/on this old girl, she's been in Wyoming and Colorado.

OP
OP
Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Found it -- shifter cable retaining clip on a bracket near the firewall. In the video at 3:00 and 6:00. Talked to a guy my son works with and he said they usually don't put them back in since they're a backup retainer. I still have to check mine to see, but it's too cold out there to do anything right now.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the answer to your mystery part. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found it -- shifter cable retaining clip on a bracket near the firewall. In the video at 3:00 and 6:00. Talked to a guy my son works with and he said they usually don't put them back in since they're a backup retainer. I still have to check mine to see, but it's too cold out there to do anything right now.

I don’t think they’re a back-up. I know I wouldn’t leave the one at the other end of the cable out, near the trans. so I don’t think it’s a good idea to leave this one out. They lock the snap on connector so it can’t be popped off. I remember now after seeing that video. Sounds like somebody is just lazy. :893karatesmiley-thu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645