My Radio Unlock Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steverkemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an owner of the GM Lockpick system in my 09 Denali XL I knew that I wanted to unlock the potential of my 15 Denali XL Intellilink system while in motion. I searched around and could not find anyone who accomplished this. I called Costaltech, who mfg. the lockpick, and they said, "maybe someday in the future". The further that I researched the new radio platform it was clear that they, nor anyone else, was going to make an external device to "trick" the radio into allowing this. The new system is much more digital than analog.

So, I was lucky enough to come across this forum and learned that there was a company called White Audio and Media that did custom GM radio programming. I'm a 'keep it factory' kind of guy so I'll admit, I was nervous about reprogramming it. I decided after seeing the results and talking to my dealer about it that I would move forward knowing that the guys at White are more than adequately qualified to do the unlock.

It was a smooth process. I simply ordered a Global A Reprogram from their website, sent the HMI module to them overnight and it was out the door to me within 24 hours. I reinstalled the module in 10 minutes and it works like a champ. (See my separate thread on Removing the HMI module).

I have spent the last few days testing extensively and I can confirm it works as promised. There are basically 3 things that happen:

1. Fully use the Intellilink interface while the vehicle is out of park or in motion. This includes using the Nav system and front screen video playback. My wife loves this feature for getting through DVD menu systems as a passenger in order to queue up a movie for the kids in back.

2. Add audio to welcome video sequence when you enter the car. There is a menu to turn this on or off.

3. Adds the SMS Text messaging application. I have an iphone which only supports receiving alerts so that's as far as I have tested it. The system will receive the messages and read them to me but I cannot reply because my phone does not support it.

I definitely recommend White Audio and Media. They were great to work with and went above and beyond to ensure that I was happy. I will definitely do business with them again.

On a closing note, let me proactively address those who will certainly reply about the dangers of operating the radio while driving, especially normally locked features. Let me be very clear where I stand on this: A driver should never engage in distracting activities, period.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Chris did a great job as usual. Can't wait to do this myself.

zolt11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went on their website and couldn't find any info about the 15. Do you have a link or pricing?

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can attest to all that Steve said above. Chris was great to work with! I had the HMI delivered to him by Saturday and he had it back in the mail by Monday morning (quick turn-around!). The re-install was seamless and everything is in great working order. Still getting used to using the text function but I tested both in and out on my Galaxy S3 and it all worked at described.

This is the best money I've spent on the new Tahoe to date and I would highly recommend to get this done. White Auto and Media (Chris) was great to work with and has earned my future business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58