My new to me Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this '02 Tahoe knowing it needed a transmission. It would barely drive once it warmed up. Some fresh fluid, filter and some Lucas Transmission fix basically cured the problem with the exception of a little bit of slipping from 2nd to 3rd. I'm still replacing the transmission but now I'm not quite in the hurry I was before. I can have the transmission rebuilt for $1650, this includes an 18 month / 18,000 mile warranty. A GM re-certified transmission would be around $2200 installed, this would give a 36 month / 100,000 mile warranty. I'm leaning towards it as I've had some bad luck with transmissions in the past (700R4). Thoughts on the two?

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it, but I will add some personality to it. I'm in the exhaust business so that's a must, going to go with shorty headers and a large body MagnaFlow. Other than that it needs a sound system and new wheels and tires and a few other hop ups. I've read a ton of contradicting information on the tire size you can fit on a stock Tahoe. I was leaning towards 275 65 18's, will that fit on a stock setup?

20140418_162333.jpg

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It has some issues but most vehicles that are 12 years old with 157k miles do. It was from MD so there is / was a bit of surface rust under it. I spent a weekend grinding and painting and it looks a lot better, hopefully it will keep it contained. Next on my list is a full tune up, brakes and shocks. Everything is sitting in the garage, just need the time to do it.

13535767014_ceef140204_c.jpg

13676957125_97b0c15770_c.jpg

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Might I suggest the NNBS stock brake upgrade! ( front rotors and calipers I'd go with R1concepts.coms rotors!). also. Don't waste your money on Shorty headers our LS engines don't benefit from them like a decent pair on long tube headers! welcome to TYF and love the color. The 4L60 and or 4L65 IMO is the weakest link on these rigs a 20" rim with a 275-55R20 fits perfect too! What other mods do you plan to do? I.E. Color matching the grill and bumpers? Window tint, LED interior swap, Cold air intake ( CAI ), tune? Leave suspension alone or level or lower it?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Man I hate transmission issues. Yeah I am running 275/65r18 on mine. No rubbing what so ever. Stock height.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, The shorties are on my list, just depends on if I can get one of my vendors to hook me up ;)

I'm not going crazy with it, and a good portion will be cosmetic. Right now I'm just tuning it up and replacing the broken parts that seemed to be neglected from the previous owner.

I plan to do:

Exhaust
Stereo
Wheels / Tires
Cowl Hood / Paint rear tailgate as it's bubbling around the lock
K&N Intake

As of right now those are my plans. I have to keep my mods low key on this one, I sink way to much money into mods, for what I paid for the Tahoe it won't take long to surpass the purchase price.

rushingman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you clean up underneath your tahoe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts