My first Tahoe 2007 15k miles... Need ideas!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Facefart0228

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time Tahoe and chevy owner here and first time using a forum. So please bare with me.

I recently found a 2007 chevy Tahoe 5.3 ls 4x4 with 15k (not a typo) miles 1 owner clean title for ($15k). Thought it was a good deal so I bought it. This thing is so new inside and out, the guys are shocked at work. And since having it for a week i am very pleased with it overall. I will say it is very plain Jane though and I have always been the type of person to try and make or modify my personal vehicles to suite my own impulsive wants.

I am looking to try and bulletproof this rig, being that it is 13 years old but basically brand new based off of how little it was used those 13 years. I figure there should be enough evidence here from other owners to do just that. But being I'm new to the forum scene, I am overwhelmed with information and seemed to get lost going through all the threads. So I figure I will just ask for help and see what happens.

I would like to do upgrades that benefit its durability first while increasing performance.
Nothing has been done it is completely stock.
Also I live in California so some enhancements are off the table.

So the first burning question is, AFM? Should I buy a tuner like (Range)? Or is there better options or is AFM not really as bad as it sounds?

What are good options for cat back systems and cold air intakes? Engine upgrades?

Looking for any must do, unavoidable upgrades

Current project is upgrading the head unit/stereo.
I purchased an 7" android touchscreen and a back up camera. Weather tech floor mats and cargo liner are on the way.

I'm not interested in lifting it (maybe, unless convinced otherwise), but definitely am going to change the wheels and get some all terrains.

Here's hoping you guys can help guide me in the right direction and keep me from spinning out of control. I'm open to any ideas and any questions, thanks

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time Tahoe and chevy owner here and first time using a forum. So please bare with me.

I recently found a 2007 chevy Tahoe 5.3 ls 4x4 with 15k (not a typo) miles 1 owner clean title for ($15k). Thought it was a good deal so I bought it. This thing is so new inside and out, the guys are shocked at work. And since having it for a week i am very pleased with it overall. I will say it is very plain Jane though and I have always been the type of person to try and make or modify my personal vehicles to suite my own impulsive wants.

I am looking to try and bulletproof this rig, being that it is 13 years old but basically brand new based off of how little it was used those 13 years. I figure there should be enough evidence here from other owners to do just that. But being I'm new to the forum scene, I am overwhelmed with information and seemed to get lost going through all the threads. So I figure I will just ask for help and see what happens.

I would like to do upgrades that benefit its durability first while increasing performance.

So the first burning question is, AFM? Should I buy a tuner like (Range)? Or is there better options or is AFM not really as bad as it sounds?

What are good options for cat back systems and cold air intakes? Engine upgrades?

I purchased an 7" android touchscreen and a back up camera. Weather tech floor mats and cargo liner are on the way.

I'm not interested in lifting it (maybe, unless convinced otherwise), but definitely am going to change the wheels and get some all terrains.

Here's hoping you guys can help guide me in the right direction and keep me from spinning out of control. I'm open to any ideas and any questions, thanks
Welcome to the forum Joshua. Sounds like you found a great deal.

As for mods and upgrades, a lot of folks here with various levels of experience in this area. A common one is to level it out by either raising the front or lowering the back as these rigs come stock with about a 2” rake. I will leave any further suggestions to others as that is not my area of expertise.

As far as bullet proofing your rig, might start by looking at items that are more affected by time and not miles.

Getting an AFM delete kit like one from Range would not be a bad thing. The ‘07’s struggled with this system.

Keep your oil clean by changing regularly as you go forward.

The bushings in your suspension should be looked at for signs of age related issues.

Give all the rubber under the hood a good going over as well. Might just go ahead and get a fresh serpentine and A/C belt put on for piece of mind.

It may only have 15K but I would seriously consider swapping all the fluids in the radiator, transmission, differentials and transfer case. It may sound extreme, but those fluids are 13 years old and if it were me, I’d like to know I have fresh fluids in it, no matter the miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welcome Joshua, post up some photos when you can.

At thirteen, some things even though the truck has few miles are going to need replacement. Check your bushings for the swaybars and the rubber on the ball joints, rack and pinion bellows, drive shaft boots, etc.

if you have the service records, see if the driver's side valve cover was replaced or not, same for any major repairs to the AFM system. I would not fool with a range device, I got a BlackBear tune.

Change ALL of your fluids. Find out what oil the previous owner was using.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH. You clearly got a great deal, and please post some photos, when you get a chance.

There are GREAT folks here, who will provide their perspectives and recommendations to your specific questions. As wjb and swath recommended, first take a look at existing items on your truck that may show some signs of wear or deterioration, due to time and not miles. Get those items up to date first.

Then, I recommend that you map out some mods that you definitely want to make on your truck. Yes, there are many, but determine what is important, or really desired, by you. As folks here will attest to, you can spend as much money as you have (and then some) on these trucks, so some initial planning and financial discipline is warranted on your part. How much can you afford to spend, and want to spend, on your truck, both short term and long term? Also, I recommend considering some type of planning time line on your planned mods, so that you have the time available to perform them. Last, I recommend that you plan and map out the sequence in which you want to perform these mods, so that you don't run into a situation where you have to undo or alter a previous mod, to complete a new mod.

Lots of folks here live in California, so they can provide answers to any specific questions you may have, regarding California regulations and associated mods restrictions.

Wheels and tires - You stated that you are not interested in lifting/lowering the truck, so that will help determine what wheel and tire size combination mods will work, without any rubbing issues. Since you stated that you are interested in all terrain tires, and folks here can give you some recommendations of specific all terrain tires.

Cold air intake - Experts here suggest that a cold air intake, by itself, won't do much of anything, except drain your wallet. So, if you want a cold air intake to provide any performance improvement, it will need to be made with other mods, such as a tune, but, even then, the performance boost associated with the cold air intake itself will be marginal.

AFM Delete - If this feature exists on your truck, this mod can be accomplished by a tune.

Cat-back Exhaust - Folks here seem to prefer MagnaFlow or Corsa. There have been some discussion threads where folks have purchased Magnaflow knockoffs at lower prices and equivalent sound.

Engine Upgrade - The best engine mod that you can make for your dollar, short of major mods like cams and superchargers, is a tune. Folks here like Black Bear Performance for tunes for their trucks, and consider it to be the biggest bang for the buck for improved engine performance. Black Bear Performance is a frequent flyer on this Forum, so please reach out to them directly for a conversation about their tune mods, as they can provide a custom tune for your engine, based upon your specific preferences (more power, better gas mileage, better towing, specific gas octane preference, or some combination of these). They should also be able to provide the AFM Delete, as part of the tune mod.

Hopefully, this is a start for you for things to consider. Please feel free to reach out to folks here for any specific questions that you may have going forward.

Again, welcome to the Forum, and I wish you the best of outcomes in considering and installing your upcoming mods.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welcome and +1 for pics!

Not gonna "bare" with you- I just don't swing that way. :p

I would like to do upgrades that benefit its durability first while increasing performance....Also I live in California so some enhancements are off the table.

You're starting off on the right foot aiming for durability first. As previously mentioned, get everything up to par, particularly the soft stuff. The metals should be primo, but bushings, hoses, belts, etc. degrade with age. Hoses are the biggest kicker cuz they always seem to appear fine, but when you're caught in a traffic jam on the 405 in the dead of summer, that's when one splits and pukes the coolant. Replace ALL of the fluids from front to back as they age as well and can even become acidic and corrode bearing materials. I'd switch all oils to full synthetic. Any chance you can find out the maintenance/service history from the PO?

I'd be surprised if it's had any of the AFM updates performed (updated VLOM and lifters). Regardless, I'd just disable it. At 15K miles, the feeble AFM components have virtually no wear and no sludge or varnish should be in the system so it should be in perfect condition. To best way to keep those components in this condition for as long as possible is to not use them. Disable the system so the AFM lifters don't cycle and, theoretically, they should be almost as reliable as the non-AFM lifters. I'd get a custom tune, such as from Black Bear, since you can have the sloppy transmission shifting and other factory shortcomings cleaned up in addition to disabling the AFM. The tuning improvements will not only put more power to the wheels (safely), but will extend the life of the transmission's internals before they've even worn yet (lucky you!) and greatly improve the overall driving feel with better responsiveness and more sharply-appointed shifts.

The other option is to keep AFM alive, but maintain it scrupulously by keeping the oil clean. Run top quality full synthetic oil and filters and replace it when it gets to be about a mahogany color, which should be around 3-5K miles. DO NOT GO BY THE OIL LIFE MONITOR (OLM) ON THE DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER (DIC). It should be pretty solid for a good while, but the time bomb will still be ticking, figuratively, and eventually, literally. You could have the updated AFM lifters and VLOM installed and continue your meticulous maintenance and you may never have a problem for 300K miles. But, if you're gonna go that far into the engine to increase it's reliability, you may as well delete the AFM and be done with it forever.

This is where your want to perform "upgrades that benefit its durability first while increasing performance" comes to fruition. To delete AFM, you have to replace the cam. This is your opportunity to drop in a nice "truck" cam for more power across the board with no sacrifices made anywhere else. As a little bonus for you due to your low-mileage mill, you'll just have to buy 8 non-AFM lifters and can continue to run the original 8 of the non-AFM cylinders.

I've never seen the point of a cat-back system other than where the factory system needs to be replaced (damaged or rusted) or upgraded in size and the owner just wants to do it themselves as they are mostly a DIY, bolt-on design. Or maybe where the owner wants to have pretty pipes that they paid a premium for cuz it makes 'em feel good. IMO, swap the OEM muffler for one of your choice and you'd have the same for hundreds of dollars less. Hell, I even went a step further and got the knock-off of one of the famed Magnaflow mufflers for $31. The only difference I could tell in mine versus the MF is that mine doesn't have the MF logo embossed in it and the height and width dimensions are slightly different but the length is the same. I'm sure this was to avoid copyright infringements.

Cold air intake? Lucky you- yours came from the factory with one! They all did! The factory air intake ducts air from outside the engine bay and into a filter box that is very well sealed. Yeah, it's not the prettiest thing with that accordion coupler and those Helmholtz chambers. Fortunately, Airaid makes a sweet and simple bolt-on fix with their MIT. I'd also make sure the foam seal between the filter box and fender is in good shape. They tend to lose their adhesion with age and fall in. If needed, replace it with a new factory one or (better yet, IMO) get some foam rubber weather seal from the hardware store and make your own, heavy-duty seal.

There really aren't any significant engine upgrades to be had with your implied goals. We've already addressed the few factory faults...

...Well, since you said "unavoidable"... I'd classify a catch can and the updated driver's side valve cover here. LS engines tend to pass a lot of oil mist through the PCV system and it ends up puddling up in the back of the intake manifold and most of it ends up in the back two cylinders. Most of it burns off, but, over time, carbon can build up in those cylinders and the piston rings can get stuck, leading to a whole world of hurt. Your engine, being so new, can be sheltered from ever having to know anything of this. The AFM system operating is a huge contributor to this since it sprays a plume of atomized oil into the crankcase when the lifters collapse. GM designed a shield for this that's only $8, but, you have to remove the oil pan to install it. You can buy a plug-in AFM disabler or tuner for less than the cost of time and labor to install the shield. The other contributor to the oily PCV is the hole in the baffle of the driver's side valve cover. It was originally located right over one of the rocker arms and the oil stream squirting up from the push rod side of it would make a bullseye right into the hole, filling the baffle with oil that would get sucked up by the PCV flow. The revised cover relocates the hole. You probably haven't driven yours enough yet to note any oil consumption. But, between AFM operating and (likely) having the original valve cover, you'll see a loss of oil. It may be something small such as a quart over 3-5K miles but it can be much worse.

Finding out your Tahoe's service history would be really convenient in this case cuz you can't tell by looking at the outside of the valve cover which revision it is. After disabling or deleting AFM and getting the updated cover, there will still be some oil passed through the PCV system- It's just "an LS thing". For this, anyone in the know about LS engines will recommend installing a catch can. There's tons of info on the interwebz about this. What has worked great for me is one I got from catchcans.com years ago. I added a stainless steel scouring pad (like a "Chore Boy" pad, but not copper) to mine and it increased the amount of oil the can traps.

All of these are details we can all discuss once you start a build thread to introduce (and name?) your rig and document the changes. :D

IMO, I think the 4WDs look better more level. They're certainly a little more capable with a little lift. I understand not needing or wanting a lift. But, if it's a cheap and harmless mod to give it better look that would complement some nice all-terrains, I'd do it. You can bolt on a tiny front lift in about an hour at a total cost of about $30. I'm not one to lift a 2WD and my ultimate goal was to lower it, but I lifted mine 2" in the front and 1" in the rear just cuz I ended up with a deal on some slightly aggressive looking all-terrains. I also installed some 1.5" spacers to give it a little wider stance. The mild lift/more level stance fit the look of the tires and I liked the overall appearance for the year that I ran it like this. I already had the 1" coil spacers and the 2" front lift was about $25 on Amazon. I spent an extra $5 on grade 8 hardware for peace of mind. It's a cheap and easy bolt-on mod that would actually be functional on a 4WD and it wouldn't harm anything or require changing a bunch of other things down the line. If you make any suspension changes, an alignment is recommended. It's good practice anyway if you get new tires and some places require it to honor a tire warranty.

We're great at spending everyone else's money! You're at a good place, though. We won't lead you astray. We do have a few idiots here, but they're harmless and seem to roll with their earned punches just fine. A general rule is that you can easily identify and weed them out by their terrible misuse or total lack of punctuation or coherence in their rambling posts. Even then, these idiots aren't always incorrect with their input.

Last edited:

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As other members have stated, go with a Black Bear tune. I’ve have loved the upgrade in drivability with my last 2 tunes from them. I installed a Volant CARB certified intake and like the sound it makes. Can’t say it adds appreciable power even with a tune but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt. You won’t get big gains on the 5.3 unless you go FI. Save the rest for maintenance and interior.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Steal change the oil every 3,000 miles also change out the coolant it's probably bad (since it should be changed every 5 years or so)

OP
OP
F

Facefart0228

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so here are a few standard pics the day I got it. So thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely gonna look into black bear.

As for today's achievements I installed a premium jump seat, it orginally had no center console/seat. And installed a Dasaita 7" android touchscreen today. I most definitely recommend it, these android head units are amazing. But on the flipside the GM wiring harness kit sucks and it's way expensive 130$. But none the less I'm still happy with it.

Tomorrow's goals will be wiring and hooking up the backup camera, and maybe my weather tech mats will be in.

I looked at all the belts and hoses, they look fresh, no cracking or weathering. I will try and get underneath and inspect if the weather permits. Northern California is in for a week of rain.

I am curious about the leveling kit, any brand recommendations?

And i will get some more pics up

Cheers

20200108_103424.jpg 20200108_103439.jpg

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the DIC switch mod ASAP. I’m really curious what the engine hours are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk