My first 2021 PPV has arrived!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave many 2020s are up for sale. I got one with 13k miles out of Little Rock. autotrader has tons of them., ya gotta dig. I paid $42k got leather seats too. Weather Tec floor and bed covers. Original mats.

I just need to deal with the crappy back up camera..horrible. I get a new Company Terrain every 50k miles. I’ve had no less than 4. Their cameras are awesome.
No reason GM dropped the ball on this tiny item. Like they went back in time.
Really it makes the auto seem cheap.
My daughter has a new Bronco and awesome camera. And the wife’s 2016 convertible E550 is a hard bar to lift, but damn!
As Buden would say. Com’on GM

LOL, Not trying to be rude what does your kids and wife car have to do with anything ?? seems like your just bragging about your cars ??

$40K+ for a PPV ?? I would NEVER pay that much for a truck that will depreciate in value in less than 5 years lol

I have seen clean well maintained 2015+ PPV's sell for under $15K at auction

I'm in the $5-7K range for a PPV. So that keeps me in the GMT900 model

Dave

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe PPVs and SSVs MSRP is under $50k.

With bid assistance they're being sold for as low as $31k. Typical range is between $34-37k

Orders for 2021s were closed 1/26, orders for 2022s open 8/12.

You're going to need new equipment for all vehicle specific equipment such as pushbumpers, consoles, cages, and lightbar brackets. Whelen has all their equipment released but their lead times are out to around June or so. SoundOff Signal seems to be a bit faster.

Most dealers are just starting to get their 2021s in. My first ones are being built in 2 weeks. There are a couple that have been upfitted and put in service.

Haven't driven one yet but talking to my GM reps they do ride and handle nice, but since these are PPVs the suspensions are still very stiff to reduce body roll and do well in cornering. If you're looking for comfort, PPV shocks and springs are not it. If you're looking for a low to the ground and performance oriented ride, then PPV shocks and springs are the way to go.

IIRC, There was a BIG GM dealer in Houston selling new or very lightly new "Used" PPVs for that $3X,*** price. I called once out of curiosity and he said they had 25 rejected order PPV's on the lot and he sold them ALL in 2 weeks !!

Dave

OP
OP
Solace

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, Not trying to be rude what does your kids and wife car have to do with anything ?? seems like your just bragging about your cars ??

$40K+ for a PPV ?? I would NEVER pay that much for a truck that will depreciate in value in less than 5 years lol

I have seen clean well maintained 2015+ PPV's sell for under $15K at auction

I'm in the $5-7K range for a PPV. So that keeps me in the GMT900 model

Dave

Tahoe PPV/SSVs hold their value very well. Most of the last generation are selling for between $15000-20000 even with over 100k miles. Nice ones with 50k or below still find their way into the upper 20s or low 30s.

OP
OP
Solace

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. We missed the cut off date. We are going to have to wait. We are switching to trooper's silver color (or grey if silver not available). We are going to try to go all Federal Signal if we can. We have been using Signal, Brookings, Feniex, etc. for a good while since we ran away from Tomar. Trying to get us back to a more tried and true line of equipment. I will say, the Signal lights are very reliable. Just noisy with rattles and not many features.

I would try some Whelen or SoundOff. I have seen nothing but issues with Federal and especially their new Pathfinder units, FHP is constantly having issues with them since they switched. Their first 60 cars equipped with it all had to be pulled and rebuilt due to the issues. Star Signal isn't bad for little stuff but their quality is meh and I've seen quite a lot of their lightbars die within a year or two. Whelen and SoundOff are both tried and true and both offer excellent warranties as well as quality.

Kevz1088

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would try some Whelen or SoundOff. I have seen nothing but issues with Federal and especially their new Pathfinder units, FHP is constantly having issues with them since they switched. Their first 60 cars equipped with it all had to be pulled and rebuilt due to the issues. Star Signal isn't bad for little stuff but their quality is meh and I've seen quite a lot of their lightbars die within a year or two. Whelen and SoundOff are both tried and true and both offer excellent warranties as well as quality.
Our agency uses whelen and we rarely have issues. When a LED does burn out, we're able to return it and get a replacement from our outfitter same day on most occasions. Luckily whelen's HQ is only 45min away and you can't beat the warranty.

LT512

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Bizzare. Lots of new units here are rolling out with Federal gear and they seem to be working ok. Whelen stuff just seems like the same ol' year after year is all. I liked the older school stuff they had. But point taken. I will keep an eye on problems that the others around here may have with their FS stuff and see if it was faulty install jobs on the FHP or if we see same up here.

OP
OP
Solace

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bizzare. Lots of new units here are rolling out with Federal gear and they seem to be working ok. Whelen stuff just seems like the same ol' year after year is all. I liked the older school stuff they had. But point taken. I will keep an eye on problems that the others around here may have with their FS stuff and see if it was faulty install jobs on the FHP or if we see same up here.

Shoot me a DM, I have a good amount of insight into the FHP's debacle with FS.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the knob to the left of the steering column for drive modes or is it for steering in reverse when in trailering mode like the Ford F150?

Also I notice that there is an "auto" button so I assume this is 4wd. Is this a PPV or an SSV? I was under the assumption that all PPVs (previously at least) were 2WD and the 4x4 option wasn't given a pursuit rating, hence "special service."

LT512

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shoot me a DM, I have a good amount of insight into the FHP's debacle with FS.
I didn't get a reply. Our local installer here says that they have been using Federal a lot lately and nothing has been coming back in. Said they are a little proud of their product, but that it looks good. I saw one of our trooper cars this morning with the V shaped federal bar on it, so it appears that AL Troopers going that route too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop