My carpet finally met its match..!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have been active on here. Life has been hectic! I hope everyone out there is safe, and hanging in there through all this.

Now, my '03 Tahoe was never a show stopper, blah blah. But, it did look good. But I often found myself staring at the stains in the carpet. Now, after hauling around all 5 of my kids for the last few years, its gotten its fair share of stains, dings, dents, and scratches. But nothing bothered me more than the ugly stains on the carpet. So I set off trying to clean it up a bit.

After multiple cleaners, sprays, soaks, scrubs, nothing was working. It was time for drastic measures. I was going to dye the carpet, black. Here's a few photos of afterwards. I used RIT fabric dye, which is great. And, it doesn't stick to plastics. With that, you can keep a lot of the big stuff inside the car during the process.

It has been about a week since I've finished the front half and so far so good. The cargo area is under construction as of now, and will be getting the same treatment, possibly a little more if I choose to.
I knew it wasn’t going to be perfect, but as long as it didn’t look blotchy I was happy.

Side note: lighting sucks, but I haven’t noticed any lighter/darker spots yet. The cargo area, being a big square will take some time and concentration.
View attachment 347822View attachment 347823
I understand it’s more work, but IMO you should have pulled the seats, console and all the plastic that meets the carpet. I know you said the dye doesn’t stick to plastics, but I can see the stains around the bottom of the parts you didn’t pull. Other than that it looks pretty good.:)

Justrust84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely. I got in every time and was just drawn to the stains. Couldn’t stand it. Especially after purchasing a 2015 Nissan.
slowly but surely everything’s getting checked off the Ta’Hoe build list.
I have an 04 Tahoe LT and I love it! Love how you died the carpets! Great job! I also have a tahoe checklist! Im working on seat covers to cover cracked leather any suggestions?