My Black Bear Story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe is still very new. I knew the day I drove it off the lot that it needed a few changes in the way it ran to be perfect. I contacted Black Bear, and purchase the Autocal. It was sent to me with all the instructions I needed to get started. I did all the logging and e-mailed everything in as per the instructions.

Yesterday was a nasty rainy day and I had to run a number of errands. I pulled up to a light waiting to make a left hand turn. I was waiting for any break in the traffic that I could squeeze in to (this was on a 4 lane road in Baltimore at lunch time). I saw my opportunity to get across coming, so I let off the brakes and was rolling forward, as the gap opened I put the pedal down about 3/4 of the way to the floor. Then I waited. And waited. And waited some more, (maybe a slight exaggeration) then the truck lurched into the gap and across the intersection. The delay between command and execution was staggering! I made it through, but it wasn't fun.

I tell that story so that I can now say this, the hesitation/delay, is GONE. I don't have any idea what they do to fix it, but it works. The Tahoe responds the way I expect it to now. I spent the last hour driving around testing the response time, and I am impressed. This is how GM should have made these things to start with. I didn't ask for a major performance tune or a mpg tune or anything very specific, I just asked Black Bear to make it better, and they did.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey ghoster, I'm glad you like your tune ... but I can't help but think it may be masking something more important going on with your truck. There simply shouldn't be that much of a delay in response time when one hits the pedal that hard, especially for a brand new truck. If there was something wrong it might have been a good idea to get it looked at before the tune ... I don't know if these tunes negate the warranty should the issue rise again. :think:

Anyhoot, I don't meen to be a downer ... hopefully it will all be good. :waytogo:

OP
OP
ghoster

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know pretty much what it was, it was the 6 speed. When I started rolling with 0 throttle it decided to shift to 2nd. Then I needed acceleration and it was still stuck trying to decide which gear it needed. Once its in the right gear it moved pretty well, it just seemed to take its time deciding to actually move! Either way its gone now. If I had kept my foot on the brake and up to the point of pressing the gas, it would have worked just fine.

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand now ... sheesh what kind of tune do they set at the factory on these things that it slips into 2nd gear from idle? :whymewhyme:

Congrats on the tune. :waytogo:

OP
OP
ghoster

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand now ... sheesh what kind of tune do they set at the factory on these things that it slips into 2nd gear from idle? :whymewhyme:

Congrats on the tune. :waytogo:

My guess is they are shooting for the best mpg's possible. And in reality, if you are pulling away slowly, 2nd gear has more than enough torque. Maybe this is just the growing pains of the 6 speed tranny?

My last 6 speed didn't have this problem..... but thats an apples to oranges kind of story.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice and thanks for the feedback!!! I'm looking forward to the day I can do this mod! :waytogo:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
did you do the tow/sport mode? Im still amazed how much kick there is between shifts that can be felt on a 7000 pound truck

OP
OP
ghoster

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you do the tow/sport mode? Im still amazed how much kick there is between shifts that can be felt on a 7000 pound truck

They can't do that with the 6 speed. I don't really need it, but I can just flash in the performance tune if I need it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you notice a pretty big difference on acceleration for like getting on the highway and getting up to highway speeds pretty quickly?

OP
OP
ghoster

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice a pretty big difference on acceleration for like getting on the highway and getting up to highway speeds pretty quickly?

What I notice the most is reaction time. The truck doesn't hesitate at all. It also doesn't downshift as much under very light throttle. From a standstill the old butt dyno tells me its quicker. It seemed to pull harder when I was getting on the highway. Its perfect for me. I am running the 87 octanes tune right now. Thats what I will use on my long trips. At home I usually use Shell 93 octane. I will load up that tune later today and see if I can tell the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn