My 97 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Magicmantx

Magicmantx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found this 97 in Oklahoma after looking for just the right project to start with. It's a 1997 4x4 . This is a 2 owner Tahoe and both owners were from the same family. The original owner sold it to his sister and after a year she quit paying him so he took it back. he'd already bought a new vehicle and didnt need this so he let it sit for a few months until finally decicing to get rid of it. He ner posted it for sale anywhere just sat it out in his yard by the side of a highway where I came upon on it. This was an older gentelman who had all the work done by a local dealer including a complete engine rebuild about 30K ago and transmission rebuilt less than 10K ago . Lots of recipts from steering and suspension components. he seemed to stay on top of most things. After I got it I started to check it over. He already told me the AC didnt work and didnt know why. I will address that later.The drivers door window switch was bad so I replaced that. The blower motor didnt work on all speeds so a resistor replacement took care of that. It came with an extra factory radio because he said some of the lights in his didnt work. I switched them out but the replacement had lights out as well so I bought the bulbls and took the radio apart and replaced all the lights in it. He had added some cheap speakers in enclosures under the back seat because the rear speakers had failed years ago. I found some decent factory replacement at the boneyard and replaced them but the fronts arent much better so all those will get replaced with better later as well. I have already bought a leveling kit and 33x12.5x15 BFG and Polished 15x10" wheels. I forget the brand but it's the old school round hole type.It has taken me quite a while to get the 3 layers of paint stripped to bare metal,epoxy primed, then 3 coats of featherfillG2 blocked it all and resprayed 2 more coats of G2 and blocked it all again. There were only a couple of small dents to deal with but the drivers door had had a small amount of damage previously bit it wasnt bad at all must have just been rubbed up against something because you cant see anything from inside the door after i disassembled it all. Problem was whoever fixed it didnt do a great job because it was a bit wavey so I took care of all of that . Since I didn't know what color I was changing to I was very picky with the blocking to make sure it was as near perfect as possible. After looking and Looking at pics online I finally settled on solid white lol. I could have skipped alot of the work but if I had chosen black would have been a diffrent story.Regardless its ready for sealer and paint. Since I'm having to paint this in my small 2 car garage I'm having to wait for the weather to warm up just a bit. Which should be soon. I'm having a good time scrounging the salvage yards looking for the just right parts.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like that wherl and tire combo looks aggressive.

OP
OP
Magicmantx

Magicmantx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_6555.JPG Got the grille and Lights put back on and door latches.Stripped out the bolts on the passenger door handle so headed to the boneyard tomorrow for a replacement. That stupin torsion spring on the tailgate took me forever .

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the 2 door tahoes! Yours looks awesome. Nice job on the paint.

OP
OP
Magicmantx

Magicmantx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_6563.JPG Finally Back in one piece. Turned out pretty good. Waiting on replacement Grille as mine is peeling a little. In this pic it had 3" blocks in the rear but I took it home and replaxed them with 2" which put me level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9