My 4L60e to 4L80e Swap Journal:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried torquing to spec. Still leaked.
Tried loosening them some, still leaked.
Tried torquing to speck, still leaked.
Tightened a little more, still leaked.

Then I called the company that I bought the 4L80e from - without hesitation, they are sending me another pan and gasket no questions asked. On hold for a few more days.

I was SO close to turning the key today, I could taste it. Oh well, what's a few more days. I keep reminding myself that I have a beater to drive while the truck is down, so I shouldn't try to hurry it.
Awesome customer service. Patience isn’t my virtue either.

OP
OP
srs5150

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's IN. IT RUNS!!!!!!!

HP Tuners makes the segment swap super easy!

I performed the "shift learn" process recommended by the company that sold it to me up on the lift. (No leaks). Then I took it out for a rather gentle test drive. I had a couple of drops of trans fluid that are falling towards the back of the truck (further back than the transfer case) and I'm thinking I may have gotten over zealous with ATF and it's coming out the vent tube. I'm not sure. It shifts nice, and as of right now, I am cautiously optimistic.

I really appreciate you guys jumping in and providing direction. This is a great forum.

all-clips.00_21_08_24.Still007.jpg
This pic was taken prior to putting the O2 sensors back in.

Last edited:

BRAAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for documenting and sharing. What’s your take on the change in gearing, do you much notice the taller 1st and shorter 4th?
I’m planning to upgrade trans in my DD 01 1500 4x4 burb soon, (tow heavy loads on occasion, mild off-road exploring, lots of daily driving 25k-35k miles a year), my only hesitation to 4l80E vs a built 60E is the gearing, an obstacle that may only be in my head, 80E with its taller 1st gear and shorter 4th. With larger tires for mild offroading and towing off the line think the deeper 1st when in 2/4hi and with all the hwy miles prefer the low rpm Hwy speeds for comfort sake, or am I over thinking it?

OP
OP
srs5150

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for documenting and sharing. What’s your take on the change in gearing, do you much notice the taller 1st and shorter 4th?

Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been out of town a lot lately and have not touched the truck in a week. The answer is - I'm not sure yet. I think I have a vacuum or exhaust leak because the truck is running lean. I hope to have a chance to hunt down the leaks today and actually get to drive the truck again. I will post when I know more......

OP
OP
srs5150

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
?

Yes. Definitely noticeable. Mostly first gear. It should definitely not be a deal breaker if you are planning a swap. The peace of mind alone makes me still very glad I did the swap. It's not a big enough deal to make me want to change my rear gear or get one of those stand alone trans modules. I don't know enough about HP Tuners to mess with the shift points or pressures, but I intend on having a pro look at it at some point.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going from a 4l60 to a 4l80 isnt a huge difference 3.06 to 2.48 iirc.

From the 6l80 to 4l80 is where the drop is huge (4.02). The 6l80 gearing is nice but requires a lot more to swap it into a 4l60 equipped truck

Last edited:

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Yes. Definitely noticeable. Mostly first gear. It should definitely not be a deal breaker if you are planning a swap. The peace of mind alone makes me still very glad I did the swap. It's not a big enough deal to make me want to change my rear gear or get one of those stand alone trans modules. I don't know enough about HP Tuners to mess with the shift points or pressures, but I intend on having a pro look at it at some point.

What was the total cost for the swap? if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157