My 2018 new tahoe low mpgs please post your mpgs to compare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 2018 Tahoe rst with 6.2 and 10 speed transmission need feed back on mpg please suggest . My mpg in city driving are at 9 mpg is it because it new . And it city driving with flow of traffic not stopping for ever.

Tony Berry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I average about 17.3 with moderate city traffic in an '18 RST. Is it extreme stop and go traffic? That seems very low. The MPG goes up significantly if you can be partial throttle and have it kick to 4-cylinder mode. I got up to 28.2 on the freeway for a recent road trip.

zrlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I avg around 20-21 in my 18’ RST and I drive 75-80% highway. No way you should only be getting 9 or so. I can avg 12-14 pulling a 6000lb boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That what I thought I should get higher mpgs I’m not towing anything and driving normal not fast and stop and go traffic is light. The dealer told me it new hardly been driven needs to break in . Thought it sound like bolony to me but gm suggest that a motor broken in take over 3000 miles what take on the rst

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, can you change the DIC display to view when your in 4 cylinder mode and when your in V8 mode? Something does not sound right, and you should not have to break in the engine to get the MPG the sticker states. The MPG on the stickers are what you should average in normal driving conditions.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, can you change the DIC display to view when your in 4 cylinder mode and when your in V8 mode? Something does not sound right, and you should not have to break in the engine to get the MPG the sticker states. The MPG on the stickers are what you should average in normal driving conditions.
No I can’t change dic to view in 4 cylinder mode that what I thougt mpgs should be right off the bat when you buy a car not after break in but there been a lot back and fourth in articles I read on the internet hears one artivcle say the computer is meant to waste more fuel during break in
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...anys-fuel-consumption-ratings/article8798854/

Its_Shaun12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have to agree that 9 sounds awfully low regardless of any potential break in period you are going through. Regardless of what the dic shows I would calculate your mpgs manually next time to fill up at least to eliminate one more factor.

bobsyouruncle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a new 2018 Denali with 5000 miles on it and I'm also getting around 18 mpg on average.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
What kind of driving are you doing? If it's just short trips of 2-3 miles per time, then I see really low milage, too.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of driving are you doing? If it's just short trips of 2-3 miles per time, then I see really low milage, too.
Yes I am doing low mileage driving not much a week I’ll say most more on weekends mostly city driving but not heavy traffic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts