My 2009 PPV progress thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crappy weather today but I have the dash cover dry fit in place and yesterday I wired and mounted the backup camera.

The dash cover looks awesome and I’ll post before and after pics hopefully this upcoming week.
Backup camera was a pain, broke a few bolts but managed to get that resolved (plastic bolts). Whatever the piece is called where the license plate lights mount was the offender. I found a really good work around if anyone needs help.

More info and pics to follow.
My dash cover looks pretty good considering what it is. Most people don’t even notice it. The piece closest to the windshield is still broken so need to fix that.

Where did you route your wiring? The roof or the floor?

OP
OP
kylers2k

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dash cover looks pretty good considering what it is. Most people don’t even notice it. The piece closest to the windshield is still broken so need to fix that.

Where did you route your wiring? The roof or the floor?

I ran through the floor to the head unit. I utilized all the factory weathertight connections so far so hopefully shouldn’t have any leaks etc down the road.
Haven’t had a chance to power it up yet and I’m still not 100% whether I want to power it directly off the reverse light or under the dash. Thoughts anyone?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran through the floor to the head unit. I utilized all the factory weathertight connections so far so hopefully shouldn’t have any leaks etc down the road.
Haven’t had a chance to power it up yet and I’m still not 100% whether I want to power it directly off the reverse light or under the dash. Thoughts anyone?

Does your HU have a power output for the camera? Some do to turn it on when you select the function on the HU to use the camera even when not in reverse, such as to check on a trailer you're towing.

If not and you wanna be able to view it at any time, you can put the camera powered at all times the HU is on by tapping the interface's switched 12V output.

If you'll only be using the camera when reversing, tapping into the reverse light circuit is easiest and most convenient.

OP
OP
kylers2k

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your HU have a power output for the camera? Some do to turn it on when you select the function on the HU to use the camera even when not in reverse, such as to check on a trailer you're towing.

If not and you wanna be able to view it at any time, you can put the camera powered at all times the HU is on by tapping the interface's switched 12V output.

If you'll only be using the camera when reversing, tapping into the reverse light circuit is easiest and most convenient.

My concern with powering it all the time (if HU is lacking 12v out for camera) is the longevity of the camera. The HU arrives tomorrow and I’ll be able to determine best route forward from there.
Thankfully I have another car that I daily so I have left all the panels off for now.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's what I did with mine yesterday. Added a $20 Amazon camera to a Pioneer head unit. In my previous GMT800, I did a $40 camera/monitor combo in the Onstar cubby that I loved. Wired it to stay on all the time. Funny that people on various forums are against that for some reason. Nothing wrong with seeing your blind spots while driving for $20 - $40.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern with powering it all the time (if HU is lacking 12v out for camera) is the longevity of the camera. The HU arrives tomorrow and I’ll be able to determine best route forward from there.
Thankfully I have another car that I daily so I have left all the panels off for now.
My cheap ass camera lived for six years on all the time.

I'm one of those guys who tears two-ply toilet paper apart to save a buck and even I don't care to buy a new cheap camera if needed. ;)

OP
OP
kylers2k

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cheap ass camera lived for six years on all the time.

I'm one of those guys who tears two-ply toilet paper apart to save a buck and even I don't care to buy a new cheap camera if needed. ;)

Well that’s simple enough haha
It was $12 off amazon and I do rather like the idea of looking at it anytime I please.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that’s simple enough haha
It was $12 off amazon and I do rather like the idea of looking at it anytime I please.
I learned with my old Tahoe (which I miss dearly) the benefits of a camera when driving. And the GMT800 didn't seam to have to blind spots my 2010 does (could be wrong but it seems that way). Plus I like to swear at people when they pull up too close to me at a red light. :)

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do the carpet, what's your plan as far as sound barrier and all that? Or do you have a plan yet? My SSV is carpeted and padded, but not to my liking so I'm going to redo it all soon with road noise reduction being the goal.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
You can use Dynamat under your padding. That will take care of the road noise. It's not cheap..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645