My 2000 Tahoe Z71(with photographs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Baran

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 19 year-old 315,000 mile Tahoe Z71.

It's exterior is the "Light Pewter Metallic" color, and it's interior is the "Neutral" color. Aside from missing the factory fender-flares the truck is pretty much stock inside and out. It's worn enough that I intend to start refinishing it.

I'll need to replace the driver and passenger door-lock cylinders, and the driver exterior door-latch. I also need to replace the door-lock switch. I need a new latch for the center console, and a new dash cover. The original has broken into pieces from all the years of exposure to sun. It could also use a new headliner due to a few small holes. I will replace the carpeting, and recover the driver seat.
The outside needs new paint. My plan is to use a velvet-finish dark, DARK brown while cleaning up the original "neutral" interior as much as possible. I think this would be a nice color for such a vehicle without running the cost of a high-quality high-gloss paint finish.
As you can see the bumpers have been painted to match. I'm going to repaint the bumpers, front grill-guard, and side-tubes with rhino-lining or an equivalent. I am also going to remove the factory roof-rack and install an aftermarket roof-rack/tent as can be often seen on African safari vehicles(real ones that is). I might also remove the factory bumpers and install some beefier aftermarket bumpers with winches.
I've given a lot of thought to finding and reinstalling factory fender-flares, what do you all think? Although it would allow a wider tire, I have yet to have difficulty on any surface/in any terrain with the existing tires.

Mechanically I want to clean up the wiring and add a second alternator for lighting. I need to bring the air-conditioner back to life; I believe the rear air-conditioning unit has a leaky hose. I have two thoughts for the drivetrain. One is to simply rebuild the 5.7-litre engine, the 4L60 transmission, the NP246 transfer-case, and the axles. The other is to find a 6.5-litre diesel, a 4L80 transmission, and the appropriate transfer-case and install them instead. I welcome any thoughts and wisdom on these two ideas.

output(7).jpg output(8).jpg output(9).jpg

OP
OP
Rick Baran

Rick Baran

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To those of you who at least looked at my posts, thanks for looking. I'll try to get answers elsewhere.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .02 but if you want a 6.2 and 4L80 you’re probably better off finding a 2500 than trying to part one together.
I have darn near the same truck as ‘99

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts