Multiple electrical issues ‘03 Hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverDadofTwins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just got an ‘03 Tahoe LT and couldn’t be happier. It has a few electrical issues I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced.

The guy I bought it off told me he had been having trouble with the battery draining after installing a new double din Kenwood head unit (bonus!! has CarPlay!!!)

He had installed it himself and took it into a pro to have it reinstalled properly. He also had the battery checked and was told it was still good although it was five years old. It wouldn’t start right after I bought it so I installed a new battery and it’s been good so far. There is a whine through the speakers which I’ve learned could be the Bose amp. Curious if the battery drain could be from something else but waiting to see if the new battery gets drained.

Another issue is that the key fobs only unlock the doors sometimes. They always lock them. Could it be the fob battery? Control module under the dash? Anyone experienced this issue?

Also wondering how to clear out the memory seats and reprogram them. Tried a few times to hold down the unlock button on the door, on/offx2, and it keeps cycling the door locks and not clearing out. Am I doing something wrong? To set the seat position you should just have to hold down the 1 or 2 on the door right?

The power fold in side mirrors aren’t working either. Previous owner had caught the passenger side mirror and broke it when backing out of his garage. Replacement mirror on the way. Wondering if that could have something to do with it. It moves with the power adjustment and the turn signal on it works.

Wondering if I should get a big tube of dialectic grease and go through every connection on the vehicle to make sure all the connections aren’t corroded and stay connected. Does anyone else do this?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So I just got an ‘03 Tahoe LT and couldn’t be happier. It has a few electrical issues I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced.

The guy I bought it off told me he had been having trouble with the battery draining after installing a new double din Kenwood head unit (bonus!! has CarPlay!!!)

He had installed it himself and took it into a pro to have it reinstalled properly. He also had the battery checked and was told it was still good although it was five years old. It wouldn’t start right after I bought it so I installed a new battery and it’s been good so far. There is a whine through the speakers which I’ve learned could be the Bose amp. Curious if the battery drain could be from something else but waiting to see if the new battery gets drained.

Another issue is that the key fobs only unlock the doors sometimes. They always lock them. Could it be the fob battery? Control module under the dash? Anyone experienced this issue?

Also wondering how to clear out the memory seats and reprogram them. Tried a few times to hold down the unlock button on the door, on/offx2, and it keeps cycling the door locks and not clearing out. Am I doing something wrong? To set the seat position you should just have to hold down the 1 or 2 on the door right?

The power fold in side mirrors aren’t working either. Previous owner had caught the passenger side mirror and broke it when backing out of his garage. Replacement mirror on the way. Wondering if that could have something to do with it. It moves with the power adjustment and the turn signal on it works.

Wondering if I should get a big tube of dialectic grease and go through every connection on the vehicle to make sure all the connections aren’t corroded and stay connected. Does anyone else do this?

You should just need to put the seat and mirrors where you want them and hold the #1 or #2 button on the door for a few seconds. It will beep twice when learned.

The power fold mirror is probably a stripped gear. They're plastic.

The biggest connection issues are grounds. At the frame under the battery and especially the block to the firewall. The big 3 upgrade never hurts.

Denali716

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You should just need to put the seat and mirrors where you want them and hold the #1 or #2 button on the door for a few seconds. It will beep twice when learned.

The biggest connection issues are grounds. At the frame under the battery and especially the block to the firewall. The big 3 upgrade never hurts.

What is "
the big 3 upgrade"?

OP
OP
DenverDadofTwins

DenverDadofTwins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Yes looking into this big 3 wiring upgrade.

The seat memory buttons don’t beep when I hold them down. Seems like I got them to work once but not again. Tried resetting the memory by turning the key three times while holding the lock button or whatever that combination is. Can’t remember just googled it.

I’ll be looking into fixing the mirrors when it gets a bit warmer out.

Thank you for the reply