MPG Comparison BFG KO2 versus Michelin Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone previously ran these tires and have a comparison on MPG difference, if any, between them?

These were and still are my top two choices for tires and went with the KO2s. They have 35K on them now and figure they'll need replacing next year. Love the look and performance but would not mind a little bit better gas mileage and twice the service life, if I can overcome the vanity of loving the look of the KO2s on my truck! LOL

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth it no matter the MPG difference, have you seen them in person yet?

I went to Costco to buy the BFG's and they were out of stock. The salesman showed me the Defenders and I just laughed. It really does have that simi truck tire look to it but even worse. If a bald guy could get balder thats what the tire looks like..

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had KO2s on my work truck and loved them. I now have the Michelin defenders and they're nice too, great highway ride and quiet. I prefer the KO2s personally, I didn't see any significant mileage improvement with the Michelins. Keep in mind however the county pays for the fuel so I really don't care...

Hankook DynaPro ATM is another strong contender. I ran them on my Yukon XL 2500. Nice compromise between the two; semi aggressive tread but quiet on the highway.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had KO2s on my work truck and loved them. I now have the Michelin defenders and they're nice too, great highway ride and quiet. I prefer the KO2s personally, I didn't see any significant mileage improvement with the Michelins. Keep in mind however the county pays for the fuel so I really don't care...

How about longevity between the two? From experience with older LTXs, they should easily go 60 to 80 thousand miles. My KO2s are down to 8/32 tread at 35K... Well, come to think of it, that's not too bad either if they keep wearing this way. Thanks!

Anyone else run them both?

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Michelin is actually a superior tire. Ill choose them for the wife's car any time I have a choice.
But the BFGs sure have good look to them.
Looks are in the eye of the beholder though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645