Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
I have two friends, both with 6.2L motors under 100,000 miles, that have had to replace their motor mounts. Is this specific to the 6.2L or is it an issues with the 5.3L as well?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A motor mount, made of rubber and steel, is a wear item and will eventually have a need for replacement. It can depend on where the vehicle is driven, temperatures, salt on the roads, how hard the vehicle is driven and the types of driving that is done and of course, the quality of the part. Some mounts have a history of failing prematurely. I have a 2005 with a 5.3 engine and my mounts have been replaced because I like to do things before I have trouble. I do not own a 2015 to 2020 model and therefore I cannot offer an opinion on whether these vehicles have problem mounts. Good luck.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two friends, both with 6.2L motors under 100,000 miles, that have had to replace their motor mounts.
Is this specific to the 6.2L or is it an issue with the 5.3L as well?
If two schmekelheads drive with the same gratuitously leadfooted style, assume the 6.2L would have to replace at least one of those motor mounts before the 5.3L, just 'cause the 6.2L is stronger / more powerful.

On the other hand, if the guy with the 5.3L keeps slapping the throttle against the floor whenever possible while the 6.2L is driven gracefully, I bet the 5.3L will need a motor mount replaced first.

When it comes time to replace that motor mount, though, I'd be looking for an upgrade of some kind, being leadfooted and all ...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable on the details of the 15-20 body style, but with the NNBS, Hummer H3 motor mounts were suggested for the 6.2, to increase their life. The 6.2 came with motor mounts that have a fluid in them to reduce engine vibrations in the interior of the truck, and this fluid ultimately escapes.

OP
OP

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if that makes them more prone to failure, because I have heard that they are a known failure. And to clarify, both cases are 2015-2020.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two friends, both with 6.2L motors under 100,000 miles, that have had to replace their motor mounts. Is this specific to the 6.2L or is it an issues with the 5.3L as well?
I replaced my 2012 Yukon SLE (5.3L) motor mounts at 100k. They were hydraulic and one was leaking, so I replaced both. The hydraulic ones have a lot of problems, so I went with the old rubber/steel ones. No problems after 3.3K miles.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that makes them more prone to failure?
1stly, every experienced mechanic can guess which motor mount is more likely to fail sooner based on its position.
2ndly, the old rubber & steel motor mounts are more durable and tend to last longer,
precisely because they are NOT trying to hide NVH issues from Aunt Cester or Aunt Teak.
The hydraulic ones have a lot of problems, so I went with the old rubber/steel ones.
Which ones do you mean? 2500 / 3500 HD pickup truck-type stuff?
Or aftermarket polygraphite?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable on the details of the 15-20 body style, but with the NNBS, Hummer H3 motor mounts were suggested for the 6.2, to increase their life. The 6.2 came with motor mounts that have a fluid in them to reduce engine vibrations in the interior of the truck, and this fluid ultimately escapes.
how are the H3 mounts in regards to vibration in the interior? for my 6.0L

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered these. I got the 1/2" lower ones to drop the motor a bit. Should help me in autoX a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum

Latest posts