Most miles with stock AFM system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a 2011 Tahoe 5.3 liter. with AFM about 150 thousand miles, then I drove a K2 Tahoe with a 6.2 engine for about 110 thousand miles with active AFM, now on the T1 there are already about 40 thousand miles on the odometer with active DFM. There are a lot of friends who have K2 generation Tahoes and Escalades with over 200 thousand miles on them, without any problems. Moreover, there are people with disabled AFM and dead lifts, and there are those with active AFM, but the lifts work without problems. My personal opinion is that the problem with lifts does not depend on AFM and DFM. But, the problem with lifts does not happen suddenly. They become audible, they begin to knock noticeably. So if you listen to the car, you can replace it in advance. I have a friend who basically changes lifts every 60-70 thousand miles. and it already has over 200k miles on it. Also an option for solving problems.

dyuen888

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LMG Flex fuel all stock... 280K miles - Oil changed every 3-5k miles, Dino oil for the first 100k and then synthetic afterwards. Blew a head gasket in 2019 and then replaced the lifters. Commuter car, with 100 miles driven each day. Replaced the 2007 LMG with another LMG motor @ 310K miles in 2022...still going..

tjoyce81

Reaction score
I have 365225 miles on my 07 Tahoe. AFM has always worked as it should. I did have a failed oil pressure relief valve spring - located in the oil pan. (this valve is commonly over looked or not known about, when oil pressure issues arise). I blocked that off at around 150000, and it has been good (but a little high) ever since.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my ‘13 Tahoe 5.3 in September with 197k. AFM was working 100% fine with good oil pressure, no ticking, not noticeable when engaging, etc. But I have since had it tuned out.
what about the infamous injector ticking

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen posts of 200K+ miles on a stock tune. My guess is that 95% of the triplet owners have no idea what AFM is, much less how to delete it. I am also guessing there are a million or more out there with at least 100K miles and no issues.....
a_____ live forever but not a truck that doesn't get regular oil changes...:D

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Son's 2015, my friends 2014 & my 2018 Yukon Denalis all had AFM lifter failures this year. All with 5K or sooner oil changes & we all have lead in our right foot. Thinking those AFM lifters don't like rpms.

I tuned out my AFM at 58K & failed at 88K. My avg mpg last 30K miles before failure was 20.3 vs 20.1mpg with AFM activated

Post AFM delete cam/lifter swap I reset trip B 1,300 miles ago and I'm at 21.3mpg on winter fuel, many frozen windshield remote starts & running idle while shopping.
try actually calculating it i highly doubt you're getting 21.3

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, gang, I really do appreciate everybody's participation. But what I was really trying to get at was how many miles WITHOUT reprogramming, and WITHOUT retrofitting. I was curious to hear how many miles with OEM equipment, using AFM just like it came from the factory: FACTORY STOCK.

I was wondering if anyone could beat my 114,000 miles using factory stock AFM. As it turns out, many replies have come with folks whose engines have been modified, so that really doesn't count. But there have been many who are NOT modified, and handily beat my 114k.

Who else is FACTORY STOCK and can beat 114,000 while STILL USING the original AFM system just like it came from the factory? FACTORY STOCK? NOT Chipped, NOT programmed, NOT retrofitted.
AT 121,300
My has factory programming chip though...(M1-4) does that count? which keeps v8 mode on all 4 gears.. unless i switch to EVT mode gear

using a disabler chip (for cold starts) would be irrelevant which isn't a modification as i can already do it by flipping to M4.. but prefer a few extra mpg...

a permanent tune would be different anyways as that is a permanent modification...

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe just turned 165K miles. 100% stock no issues. I know I should get it tuned but do not trust any shops here in Florida,NYC or New Jersey to tune out the AFM. Do not want to hook up the Range.

Still runs like brand new. Still using 0w20. Change out every 5K miles with either Mobil 1 EP or AC Delco.

@BlackBearPerf Now if they came anywhere near my neck of the woods or in NYC-N.J. I would let them tune it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n