Model number for the tru cool ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

la silver bullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the model number that everyone getting for the transmission cooler ? The other day the transmission temperature went up to 220’s and I want to install this transmission cooler .

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
220 is normal for the 6L80E. I had a tru-cool 40K but took it out because it blocked my radiator and I started having coolant temp issues when towing. It also wouldn't let my transmission temp get up to 150ºF in normal driving, which is what GM specifies as the minimum temperature for continuous operation. I put in a Derale fan-forced cooler below the bumper instead.

Some reference info for my comment about 220 being normal for the 6L80E:
In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature."

Here's my whole saga with it: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ontrol-when-towing-in-the-summer-heat.125753/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC