MJ Engineering Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my 07 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 and I am really happy with the 22" ck375's but of course since I'm a guy I want more. Time for a tune!

There are a ton of good reviews on BB here so I thought I'd post about my MJ Engineering experience.

So far, I have to say I am very impressed with the customer service. I called Mike yesterday after lunch and discussed my current vehicle and what I was looking for and then I purchased his autocal. Got an update via text message today with tracking # that shows where it was sorted yesterday at 4pm (that's almost same hour service lol).

As far as the product, I feel I will be an excellent judge due to my prior experience owning and tinkering with tons of other vehicles I have had tuned.... mostly cts-v's, corvettes, and some custom LS swaps in older vehicles, also Ford GM and Dodge diesels (factory and heavily modded). I have zero allegiances to any tuner and will offer my unbiased opinion about how the tune is out of the box and how any re-tunes go. Now, I will not have the luxury of comparing tunes from more than one vendor so my judgement will be compared completely on past experience. If I had 2 Yukons I would totally compare the sponsor tunes.

The things I will look at, or are important to me, are shift points, noticeable lean or rich conditions, throttle position sensitivity (I hate it when tuners mess with this a lot bc an unseasoned driver will think he has more hp bc his head snapped back when he barely moved the pedal but what really happened was Wide Open Throttle was changed in the table). I will also be looking at average mpg (GPS) as well as using my seat of the pants dyno.

I am changing to a 180* thermo and looking for a 93 octane tune with as much of a performance boost as I can get without going crazy on the shift points.

I know I know some will ask why I didn't go with BB for my tune since there are so many good reviews on the board and there are 2 reasons...

1) No phone number: I understand this is a liability thing where they want request written. That is fine but there are a million businesses out there with just as much or more liability who use a phone to initiate business...anyway I don't run the place just sayin no phone = less business period.

2) My tune and/or expectations aren't that complicated for someone who does this for a living. I know I know...there is a ton of work that goes into every tune or I'd be doing it myself... but this really shouldn't be that hard so as long as it's apples to apples, why not give the hungry guy with the faster cheaper service a try.

OP
OP
J

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just tracked my shipping on my autocal from MJ Engineering and it will be delivered by tomorrow at lunch. I talked to Mike after lunch on Thursday and it was shipped by 4pm the same day according to the tracking...that's fast.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time doing a 180* thermostat unless the one you have is in need of replacement. They are just as much a paperweight as a TB spacer on these motors.
Curious to hear about your experience with this tune.

OP
OP
J

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not sure about the stock thermo....and really I don't see a reason to change it either bc here in the south its likely gonna run above 180 in the summer no matter what temperature the thermo opens.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Autocal arrived today!! and already got a text from Mike but I haven't even read up on how to use it yet...duh! Got to get my butt in gear!!

OP
OP
J

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know about the thermo

Got the e38 & T43 files read and logged a 25 min trip but have not emailed mike yet

MJEngineering

New England Tuning
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi James, thank you for the kind words. I am tuning and operating the dyno several days a week and when I am not I am answering the phone and getting out remote tunes and other correspondence. I value every customer so you can vouch for my response times with all of this and yes I think it is very important to offer a phone number - I can't count the number of times I have walked people through the process or quickly discussed a change like a transmission shift which would be very hard or inconvenient for some people to describe via email.

180 Tstat and NGK TR5 plugs are my standard recommendation for all these (N/A) engines. You won't see the true potential unless it is tuned for it so I understand why you would say they aren't needed but you can yield a few more degrees of high load timing when the engine is running at 180 vs 200+.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely agree about a cooler running engine will accept more timing easier but I just have never been able to run any engine down here in Georgia for very long without it warming up to around 200 no matter what I do to the thermostat or the cooling system.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Would love to see some before and after statistics. Glad to see MJ getting good promo, i have a bb tune myself, but am all for any vendor who does quality work. Never heard a bad thing about MJ any time i have read up on them. Excited to see the results!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157