Mismatched HeadLamps: need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
annoyed! The '03 Yukon has clear set of headlamp and daytime running lamp on Pass side, then like this set of old/cloudy OEM head/corner lamps on the driver side. I would like to replace the set on DS to match the nicer lamp lenses set on PS.

Do the cheaper knockoff units on eBay match the factory setup? Or do they look different? If anybody has a set for sale, please DM me. Needing the DS side SET.

Furthermore, will polishing the dull lamps give them a clear luster? It just seems to me they are the originals & possibly manufactured that way.
I'm beginning to think I will have to buy a 4-piece set if I want it all to match.

Pass side lamps are clear as ice.
The driver side lamps look like this.

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Last edited:

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think it'd be much easier to buy a new full set than to try and find a match, but it will be a little more expensive.

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiars level 2 fine cut cleaner, mixed with some elbow grease, should clear up as good as it's gonna get... 2 coats are better as you will miss small spots in the first go thru...

Wax pad, big glob of stage 2 fine cut and go to town, don't be gentle as it's the only way you'll take the glaze and yellowing off the headlamp. And it's great for other uses, but I have it mainly for all my lamps.

And from looking at the light, you wont get those lines out of there, but you will clean up the outside like new, which will help a little, and it's great for the biannual wax and detail.

Good looking lights help bring personality to the truck.

OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiars level 2 fine cut cleaner, mixed with some elbow grease, should clear up as good as it's gonna get... 2 coats are better as you will miss small spots in the first go thru...

Wax pad, big glob of stage 2 fine cut and go to town, don't be gentle as it's the only way you'll take the glaze and yellowing off the headlamp. And it's great for other uses, but I have it mainly for all my lamps.

And from looking at the light, you wont get those lines out of there, but you will clean up the outside like new, which will help a little, and it's great for the biannual wax and detail.

Good looking lights help bring personality to the truck.

I agree, the clearer lenses make the truck look better. even photos of old trucks I see on the web have these same dull lenses. and the photo above isn't my headlamp, its just 1 I pulled off of Craigslist that is identical. My concern is that trying to polish the original lenses will not necessarily bring them to a clear luster, if they were never "clear" to begin with.

OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be much easier to buy a new full set than to try and find a match, but it will be a little more expensive.

I'm putting the majority of my money toward the mechanical nature of the beast. I would like to take short-cuts on the pieces that don't necessarily affect day-to-day driving, like matching the lamps, scoring floor mats & a trailer hitch, etc. I'm currently replacing every fluid & filter while also replacing the oil pressure switch. All of these things at the top of a lengthy, expensive list of just straight maintenance items on a new-to-me used truck.

i have something like $25 in the fuel filter replace
2 litres of AutoTrak @ $10/ea
2 qts of 80/90 front diff @ $12 (not bad)
2 qts 75/140 synthetic @ $12/ea & gasket on rear diff: prob $30-40 there
getting the $50 o/p switch, 1-1/8 GM socket and air filter today
5 qts Dex-6 and trans filter on Fri.. pricey.
6 qts synthetic oil next week.
bought a new drain pain and different style transfer pump: $15 and pump is in trash before i ever filled it with anything.
it will need spark plugs and wires after all of this and floor mats ASAP.

I'm getting a P0445 or 0455 evap loss that i need to get squared away. don't know where that is coming from. This code pops-up every 20-mile after clearing with both pending and confirmed. I'm sure it will end up costing me something to fix it.

If there isn't a dirt-cheap option for DS head/park lamp combo it will unfortunately have to wait a few weeks. at that point may as well upgrade.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V2Tahoe