I need some suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dock_Rocker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the back story. I had a local shop instal a normal puck lift to level the front end of my 2015 Tahoe. I “assumed” it was all done correctly. I have used this shop several times with no issues.

Fast forward a few months and I am under the truck (on a lift) adding some helper bags and I noticed the front passenger side lower Control arm bolt was about to fall out. There was literally no threads showing. All of the bolts were loose and the other one on the passenger side was hand right.

Over that time the lower control arms didn’t fair well. Even when they are torqued to the correct values they creek and groan. It’s time for a new set.

While I am repairing that malfunction I want to lift the front of the truck correctly and change the shocks while I am at it. (85k on the originals)

I need some recommendations on the proper kit to lift it and what control arm and shock setup to go with. The truck is primarily a road warrior so ride is important but it has to be descent off-road. While not burning up the Interstate I spend the rest of the time on oilfield sites.

I want a 3-ish inches up front and a descent ride out of the truck when it’s done.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 2” Fox units in the front of my wifes denali. They have been good. Pretty sure it was up around 3” of lift where they were preset. I lowered it down to around 2”.

I have no idea on the control arms. I would guess factory lowers would be fine. Maybe go aftermarket with the uppers if you need those too.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like bad luck, although many have used and still use spacers...i would prefer what i call a properly lifted vehicle.
now, a spacer is not a bad choice for a minor leveling of the vehicle, but 3"+ in my mind needs the following...
FRONT
1. drop center section for lower control arm mounting
2. longer knuckle to accommodate lift height
3. Prefer a longer coil over / shock setup
REAR
1. height dependent, longer rear trailing arms
2. longer track bar or a very sturdy bult and positioned drop bracket
3. longer coils
4. longer shocks

all of the above are key to a long successful suspension life as the factory angles and wheel base are maintained, when leveling the front, the ball joint angles quickly become excessive and wear much faster. there are offerings for upper arms the correct the ball joint issue or use a stronger joint, but most recommend or require a different wheel ( as do most lift kits with knuckles).

if you would have said , highway queen.. then level all day, but at 3" and using to traverse rougher terrains...that makes your decision tougher for your desires of function and ride quality

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with @STORMIN08 and the "LIST"

From my personal experience, the statement that "but at 3" and using to traverse rougher terrains...that makes your decision tougher for your desires of function and ride quality" is VERY true.

I previously had Fox 2.0 adjustable coil-overs up front and Bilstein lifted shocks in the rear with coil spacer.
The ride was good, but I had trouble with my angles up front and went through a couple ball joints. The ride improved in terms of "roughness" and handled off-road treks much better.

I have recently installed the BDS 4" drop-bracket lift with Cognito's 4-6" adjustable Fox 2.0 coil-overs (same as I had previously run, just longer). The ride has been incredibly improved over stock and my +2" level setup. Running the same tires too, Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 33.1" diameter. Handling is certainly improved and almost get that "smooth ride" feeling once in a while. Can't recommend this company and setup enough. I am SO happy. I did the 4"/3" but they do offer 4"/2" instead.

The BDS lift is designed to use the OE factory suspension components for the most part. I had aftermarket UCAs and OE lower control arms. So, for the BDS lift to happen, I had to purchase new OE UCAs (painted them black) and also installed new Moog ball joints on the lower arms (painted those black too, my LTZ has the Aluminum control arms)

Example to purchase your Lower Control Arms: https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-p...9dGFob2UmeT0yMDE1JnQ9bHR6JmU9NS0zbC12OC1mbGV4

You can use your OE front shocks and coils or upgrade to their Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoir coil-overs (DSC optional). The Fox remote resis run around $1550 for the pair, almost as much as the BDS base 4" lift kit.

Items I would have liked to address when the lift was installed but lack of budget/$ made that impossible.

1. New rear springs - built for 3" ride height increase (then no coil spacer needed in rear)
2. Fox 2.0 rear shocks instead of the basic BDS Nitro rear shocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter