Mishimoto R&D: 2014+ K2 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra V8 Rad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Mishimoto is excited to announce that we're developing a radiator for the K2 chassis V8's. Check out the first step of R&D below and let me know what you think!

Comfortable Cooling – Radiator R&D, Part 1: Stock Review
MG_8790.jpg

The latest generation of Chevy and GM trucks has become something of an every-truck. The earlier GMT800 and 900 trucks were dependable workhorses, built to be at home on the farm or the jobsite. When the K2 platform was introduced in 2014, the heart of the work truck remained, but it was wrapped in leather and luxury. Ascending into a K2 truck and settling into the captain’s seat might as well be finding your favorite chair in the local cigar club circa 1940. Comfort distilled with the satisfaction of a day’s hard work.

MG_7268.jpg

Sitting in a K2 is one of the most comfortable experiences you’ll have in a truck or SUV, which will be good if you ever find yourself waiting for a tow truck as your radiator drips the last of its coolant onto the hard shoulder.

Thanks to an over-active thermostat, many K2 owners have found themselves indulging not in the comfort of their supple leather interior, but rather the sweet fragrance of hot coolant. The constant heat cycling and thermal shock resulting from the thermostat relentlessly opening and closing causes the radiator tubes to crack at the end-tanks. Of course, cracks and pressurized coolant don’t mix well.

MG_7336.jpg

Now, that issue only affected 2014 and 2015 trucks, and GM (supposedly) remedied it with new radiators and more steadfast thermostats. So that can’t be the only reason we’re developing an all-aluminum replacement. And it isn’t.

You could say that the most important part of research and development is the research. Here at Mishimoto, we like to take the time to improve any aspect of an OEM part that we can, and the effectiveness of those improvements relies heavily on being thorough in the first stages of research. For that reason, we brought in a few K2 trucks to get a hands-on look at what we’d be improving.

MG_7291.jpg

Our engineer began by peeling apart the cooling stack of our volunteer Suburban to reveal the dreary OEM radiator. The stock K2 radiator is comically small for such a large vehicle with an equally large and powerful engine. The width and height of the radiator match the proportions of the truck, but sighting down the core leaves one wondering if GM forgot to build the rest of the radiator. Matching thin cores to large radiators is not out of the ordinary for OEM manufacturers. The smaller core reduces material and manufacturing costs, saving them (and ultimately you) money. It also makes fitting the rest of the components in the front stack easier later down the assembly line. However, that thin core also limits the radiator’s cooling potential.

MG_9918.jpg

While it seems only the 2014 and 2015 K2 radiators had issues with excitable thermostats and cracked tubes, there’s certainly room to improve other areas of the stock radiator. Aside from making the most use of our available space, we’ll be sure to increase the radiator’s overall strength. In true Mishimoto fashion, the plastic end tanks will be replaced with fully-welded aluminum. We also have a few ideas on how to increase the strength of the radiator from within, but more on that next time.

Thanks for reading,

-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

We have a big update for you! This radiator is now on discounted pre-sale! Check out the final update below and take a look at our website for the pre-sale.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Steve

Comfortable Cooling – Radiator R&D, Part 2: Test & Produce
MMRAD-K2-14_2.jpg

Up until now, our 2014+ K2 Silverado radiator has been nothing more than a simple set of goals: create a direct-fit radiator that’s larger, and stronger, than the stock radiator. After measuring the radiator and its home in the engine bay, we began working on our replacement.

Like many of our products, this radiator started life on a computer monitor. Jason took his measurements from the stock radiator and created a 3D model that would serve as the template for our prototype. Once the model was complete, we could transfer it to our 3D printer to begin the rapid prototyping process.

MM5148_3D.jpg

As the 3D printers wove a web of orange filament into the shape of the radiator end tanks, another piece of the 3D puzzle was being put together across the shop. Our head fabricator took a seat at his table behind the red curtain of our welding area and began fusing the pieces of our prototype core together. This core wouldn’t hold any coolant, but it would let us test fit a dimensionally-accurate version of our radiator before beginning production.

MG_9711.jpg

With the end tanks printed and the core welded, it was time to see if our radiator would be right at home in the K2 or if we needed to go back to the drawing board. This test fit is a critical step in designing a larger radiator, especially for the K2. Our rad had to fit under the upper core support and still let the fan shroud mount without interfering with the rest of the engine bay components. Jason dropped in the prototype rad, slid the rubber bushings into the upper mounts, and spun the bolts into the core support. A few tweaks to the mounts helped get the rad to fit perfectly with the intake and our prototype test fit was complete.

MG_9946.jpg

But we weren’t done with fitment testing just yet. Before we could call this project done, we needed to install a production version for the final OK. Jason made the final updates to his 3D model and we started manufacturing our production sample. A few weeks later, our all-aluminum K2 radiator was ready for its final test. For the last time, Jason removed the stock radiator from a volunteer K2 and installed our replacement.

MG_9660.jpg

Jason’s diligent measurements months ago paid off and the production sample fit without a hitch. Fitting a radiator this large in the stock bay, without modifying anything on the truck, is no small feat. With a core volume 45% greater than the stock radiator and a 74% increase in fin surface area, our radiator is built to take advantage of every square inch of your K2’s open grille. What you can’t see from the outside, however, is what makes this radiator as strong as it is large. In the top and bottom eight rows of the core, we’ve used extruded and strutted tubes. These special tubes can withstand more internal pressure and help protect the radiator from any flexing that might happen over rough or uneven terrain.

400-MMRAD-K2-14_4.jpg

The design and testing for this radiator is complete and that means that it’s time for the pre-sale. For the next three weeks, this radiator will be available on our website at a deep discount. So, head over to our website and check it out, and as always, feel free to let us know what you think or ask any questions.

Thanks for reading!
-Steve

Kristin Benjamin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello my name is Kristin and I was working with Andrew to do some testing on my Tahoe. I know he left but he said someone would get in contact with me for more testing. Please reach out to me.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Hello my name is Kristin and I was working with Andrew to do some testing on my Tahoe. I know he left but he said someone would get in contact with me for more testing. Please reach out to me.

Hi Kristin,

Andrew didn't make me aware of any additional testing needed, but I'll have the current project manager (Ted) reach out to you. Just in case, could you PM me your email address.

Thanks!
-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this radiator has ended. If you're interested in buying our 2014+ K2 Silverado / Sierra 1500 Radiator, you can take a look at our website or keep an eye out on our distributors' sites.

Thanks!
-Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts