Misfire on Cylinders 1 & 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

berkankaya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been chasing a misfire issue in Cylinders 1 & 8. The vehicle is a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3 Flex Fuel, 2WD with 173k miles. The only engine code is P0300.

So far, i have replaced spark plugs, wires, swapped coils (no change), replaced injectors, and fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. I have about 44 PSI fuel pressure when running.

When driving engine feels smooth, I do not notice any loss of power. At idle it shakes, never stalls. I have checked misfire count while driving and at times cylinder 8 will not misfire. I do smell a bit of exhaust, especially with the A/C on. Exhaust bolt after the cat was loose when i bought the vehicle and i just tightened it and it started to run a lot better. I am not sure if there is still an exhaust leak. I have a scan tool that reads live data but unfortunately I do not understand what to make of the information in front of me.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Adding to what 'Vette said: check fuel trims - could be first pointer to a vacuum leak. Or exhaust leak. Aside from being dangerous... Atmospheric air intruding into the system is going to throw the oxygen sensors for a loop (no pun intended)

could also swap injectors around and see if the issue follows I read right past that part don't mind me

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berkankaya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a leak down tester. Should i bother testing all cylinders or just 1 & 8?

@SnowDrifter i will check fuel trims.

Also, there is an oil leak. I added a quart of oil about a week ago and today i got the warning to check oil. I suspect this leak to be a bad rear main seal. Would this cause a misfire?

Thanks

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Damn I read right past that!!
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a leak down tester. Should i bother testing all cylinders or just 1 & 8?

Also, there is an oil leak. I added a quart of oil about a week ago and today i got the warning to check oil. I suspect this leak to be a bad rear main seal. Would this cause a misfire?

Thanks
Test all

Oil leak: Not directly. But if you say.... ran it out of oil and damaged the engine, then that could cause a misfire.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Thanks
Run the compression test on all cylinders with all plugs out of the engine and post pics of the plugs, numbered. The compression can be rented at auto parts stores too.

OP
OP
B

berkankaya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I never ran it out of oil but who knows if the previous owner did.

Thanks! I will make some time this weekend to work on the Tahoe. I will post the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman