Misfire and no power....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sgosa

sgosa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not yet. The shop I took it to has not impressed me so far. He’s had it since last week and hasn’t really done anything. If he doesn’t at least have some sort of diagnosis by tomorrow afternoon I guess I’ll take it somewhere else.

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lead is grounding out or a coil pack is cracked and grounding.

Had my son (14) help me do plugs and a set of leads a while back. Delco plugs and msd wires. Ran great. He was happy to help dad in the garage, and I was happy to share with him.
Leaving work one night fire the truck and it's chugging, popping, barely rev, cel is on. Frack. Throw the scanner on random misfire. Hmm. Pop the hood get out of truck it goes away. Wtf. Get back in starts again . Going crazy now. Is my seat hooked up to the ignition?

Get a buddy to sit in truck. Nothing. My truck hates me. Great. So with him sitting in truck and me under hood with a flashlight in my teeth, start feeling around . Nothing. So now I'm looking for a hammer. So buddy gets out and I hear it, Crack ,Crack ,Crack of the spark. Gotcha Fracker.

Turns out when I was getting out I was moving the steering wheel and the steering shaft bolt at the bottom of the column was digging into the #5 (2nd from back driver side) cylinder lead. Thank the good man above it was dark out and I could see the spark jump.

So my fix to get home was a piece of airline cut lengthwise and tie straps.

20190308_172053.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sounds like a lead is grounding out or a coil pack is cracked and grounding.

Had my son (14) help me do plugs and a set of leads a while back. Delco plugs and msd wires. Ran great. He was happy to help dad in the garage, and I was happy to share with him.
Leaving work one night fire the truck and it's chugging, popping, barely rev, cel is on. Frack. Throw the scanner on random misfire. Hmm. Pop the hood get out of truck it goes away. Wtf. Get back in starts again . Going crazy now. Is my seat hooked up to the ignition?

Get a buddy to sit in truck. Nothing. My truck hates me. Great. So with him sitting in truck and me under hood with a flashlight in my teeth, start feeling around . Nothing. So now I'm looking for a hammer. So buddy gets out and I hear it, Crack ,Crack ,Crack of the spark. Gotcha Fracker.

Turns out when I was getting out I was moving the steering wheel and the steering shaft bolt at the bottom of the column was digging into the #5 (2nd from back driver side) cylinder lead. Thank the good man above it was dark out and I could see the spark jump.

So my fix to get home was a piece of airline cut lengthwise and tie straps.

View attachment 222394
I think that's a super common issue with aftermarket wires due to the longer length. I had to zip tie mine away from that shaft bolt too.

OP
OP
sgosa

sgosa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. That sounds like my luck man!
We found part of my issue. Cats are definitely clogged up. Once that’s resolved we’ll see if anything else is causing problems.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Wow. That sounds like my luck man!
We found part of my issue. Cats are definitely clogged up. Once that’s resolved we’ll see if anything else is causing problems.
Gonna cut them out or hollow them out?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clogged cats did about the exact same thing to me, with those codes and more. I’m pretty sure that will fix your problem.

OP
OP
sgosa

sgosa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cutting them out for now to get going. I’d like to a new system this summer. But not quite ready yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperdadman