Mileage improvements need suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has more or less been said in this thread, but this question comes up all the time.

Maintenance and driving style is key.

Sure you could get nnbs hybrid wheels (lightweight), a tune, longtubes and exhaust, and get a few more mpg, but how many miles will it take to break even?

rdstrattan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a 2-mode hybrid, except GM discontinued them after about 4 or 5 years of production. I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid I bought in 2011 when it came off lease. I get 20-21 mpg in city, as well as highway if I keep it under 70 mph. Also tow either my '30 Chevy sedan or '46 Chevy pickup (open flatbed trailer) and get about 13 mpg if I keep it under 65 mpg.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressures and verify the front end is properly-aligned. Those will make notable differences in mileage. Making sure the MAF and TB are clean help, too.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a wideband o2 With a gauge then watch your Lambda as you drive, you can find the sweet spot and know when your the most efficient. but 9 times outta 10 gen4's are running crazy lean anyway..

OP
OP
P

pcowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mileage did improve (a bit to moderate) with inflating tires, I was a bit shocked that the tires were under-inflated. My were 20psi and the door tags say 30 psi.

One other thing I'd noticed while reading the manual. The traction control, it seems to be tied to engine and braking. I disabled on a trip and noticed significantly less drag by the engine and so did the instant mpg went up. Has anyone tried this?
Now the owner's manual suggests not to as driving with traction off can damage some components. Is this true? Also, it the traction tied to the stability control as I care much about having the stability control on and not so much about the traction control. When I disabled the traction control only 1 display light was lit.

OP
OP
P

pcowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"Also keep in mind that fuel with 10% ethanol versus fuel with out ethanol, will also make a noticeable difference in your fuel mileage."

All gas here in Oregon is 10% ethanol, where to find w/o it?

quest51210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a low mileage Passat TDI that gets 40mpg city for the price VW is giving me for it...

On another note, outside of knock sensors/harness I'd suggest intake gaskets while you are there. I'd also look into ordering some Kreen to clean out the engine and cylinders

quest51210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I updated my findings of using Gumout Regane HM. Ran 10oz into a 1/4 filled tank, then two days later filled tank and dropped another 5oz in tank. So far I went from a high of 11.5MPG to 13.8MPG on two tanks since then. My Yuk is also more responsive and not jerky from start which I initially believed to be trans related.

As I said, my next endeavor will be running Kreen through an entire OCI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove