Mid-range Speakers Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kami22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2004 GMC Yukon XL. I was having issues with my stock double din stereo, it would be lit up with no sound, ate a CD, and then finally stopped playing the 4 mid speakers that are in the doors, only playing sound from the 4 tweeters in the truck. I have a non-Bose system. I figured the deck was shot, so I replaced it with a Kenwood and the interface adapter this weekend. Needless to say when we got finished, I still have no mids. There is absolutely no sound out of the door speakers. Still just the 2 tweeters in the front doors and the 2 tweeters in the rear columns. I unplugged the battery and let everything reset (this sometimes worked on the stock stereo), we pulled the running board panels to check the wiring didn't have any obvious kinks, tried wiring the aftermarket stereo another way, checked all fuses and relays we could find, unhooked and rehooked up the BCM, checked voltages and still nothing. A friend mentioned there may possibly be a factory amp in the truck. We checked behind the glove box and we checked under the front center seat (some sites said it was in the console but I have a bench front seat). No luck. Is there an amp and where would I find it? Could this be a fail safe system on the truck and maybe one speaker has died and it shut them all down?

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're pre amp is not turning on. What style console do you have? I had a Yukon that has a headphone jack setup on the back of the console and when the power button was pressed it effected the sound.. Most of the time with an aftermarket stereo you have to jump a wire from the cd player harness to the secondary harness to turn on the pre amp
5B9B9648-50EB-429A-87B2-D1A165DD914C-163-000000156DA40821_zps6f54fd0a.jpg
Not my picture but a good reference

Last edited:

rc610

Reaction score
Check your factory wiring. Maybe hook up a speaker directly to the radio and test that. I had some trouble with my factory wiring and ran everything from the h/u and eventually through an aftermarket amp. No more issues and much better sound imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kami22

Kami22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It actually turned out to be a bad speaker. One of the speakers in the back door evidently had some bad wiring and looked slightly busted and it must have been kicking them all off. When we initially looked we didn't notice it. I replaced all 4 and so far *crossing fingers* it hasn't cut out again.

Side note: JDeshler, we actually did do that with the hook up just out of curiosity, good to know that it was the correct way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GKasey