Mid-life suburban maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I did a bunch of suspension work, and brake work. I'm looking to do the rear pads, and replace the shocks as well with the order I just put in at rockauto.

My question is, I'm at 143K. What kind of maitenance should I do on the offense?

Suspension is good to go, brakes will be good to go... I need to do a coolant flush, and a brake bleed, but I'm just curious to see what happens to these as their lives go on.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sway bar end links
ball joints
tie rods
plugs
wires

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sway bar end links - DONE
ball joints - DONE
tie rods - just replaced the driver outter, the others looked OK
plugs - need to do, have parts, but my hands cant get in by the firewall
wires - same as plugs...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the plugs closest to the firewall you may need to go in through the wheel well.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the plugs closest to the firewall you may need to go in through the wheel well.
Thanks for the hint. I wondered about those as I was working on the suspension bits over the last week, I looked up and saw easy access to the plugs. Thought, hmmm this might be the way to do it.

Had to go in that way on my old explorer v6 so I've done it before....

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my Denali, 199,500 miles. Original spark plugs !!!
Ran amazing, & the guy is still driving it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my Denali, 199,500 miles. Original spark plugs !!!
Ran amazing, & the guy is still driving it.
wow....no way in the world I'd run plugs that long. I've always been a proponent of preventative maintenance whenever at all possible rather than run it til something breaks. That's pretty crazy.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
wow....no way in the world I'd run plugs that long. I've always been a proponent of preventative maintenance whenever at all possible rather than run it til something breaks. That's pretty crazy.

Agreed.. with 200k miles, the electrodes have got to be worn out. Eventually they'll fail and start causing misfires, only thing is you can't predict when. Best to change high mileage plugs while they're still firing fine.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you. All I'm telling you is my OEM plugs went 200,000 plus miles. This is not the olden days where I changed plugs & points every 25,000 miles.
And this Denali motor ran amazing till the day I sold it. The only reason I sold the Denali, is the trans was slipping; the interior was falling apart, the front axle bearing was noisy again, hubs are a PITA.
I wish I pulled the motor for a rat rod..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE