Messed up bad... need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced the driver door handle breaking on the left side. Refusing to pay the dealer $400 to fix a door handle after 55000 miles on a $60000 4yr old truck I tried something else. My gf said to duct tape it. So that got me thinking duct tape and super glue can fix anything.

So I put a small amount of super glue on the top edge of the door handle. That worked for about 2 months and then handle pulled away from door again.

So this time I decided I'd use more super glue around as much of the edge of the handle that was pulling away. Unfortunately I used too much and now have 2 streaks of super glue from the door handle down to the side moldings.

How can I remove super glue from paint?

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May try a blow dryer to soften it up then try to remove it. That stuff is pretty tough and u could loose the clear coat and / or paint. I'm not sure about chemical removers.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the super glue thing but buy a new door handle please! It takes literally 10 minutes to change and is a MUCH better solution on a $60k ride than duct tape and super glue

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acetone is the only super glue counteractant but I am sure it will have the same effect on the cleAr. Let a body shop fix it, experience is key here.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yep if you can afford the payments you can afford a handle... A body shop is who you want I woukdnt wanna ruin the paint..

OP
OP
M

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys.

After a lot of google searching ended up trying the Mr. Clean magic eraser. Worked very well. Of course black truck left a lot of fine scratches about inch wide up and down the truck. Went over with clay bar twice and then buffed out the scratches with Meguirs X2.0 scratch remover. Completely removed the scratches I made.

It is about 95% taken care of. Few small spots to redo this weekend when I have time. I think I probably got lucky and that I had enough polish/wax build up on top of the clear coat that protected it.

Yes I could pay the dealer to fix it but this is a VERY common problem in the NNBS that GM should be fixing for free! A door handle should not break. A lot of people got "lucky" and theirs were breaking w/in the warranty period. Which is ridiculous on any car.

I had just paid the dealer to fix an internal hinge/latch on the door a month before the outside handle broke b/c I couldn't open the door from the inside. I had to roll down the window and open from the outside. Dealer told me 2 separate things and wouldn't fix the outside one. They told me was labor intensive requiring to remove the door panel etc. I'm guessing it is more than 10 minutes for the $300+ labor charge but who knows.

I would have tried the blow dryer method but it's +/- 10 degrees in MN so I didn't think it would get hot enough. Which sucks b/c my heated seat no longer works after only 60K miles. Rear defrost cord has come off the hatch for the 3rd time so that doesn't work. But who needs those in winter in MN??? Not to mention I had the TBS failure on xmas eve 2yrs ago left me stranded on I94 in the middle of nowhere. That was fun time waiting for the 1 tow truck Onstar had covering western WI on xmas eve....

I had a NBS yukon for 7yrs w/ 120K miles that never had any of these cheaply made problems. Can't wait for NNNBS so I can get rid of this one....

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw having the dealer fix it. It's literally 10 minutes to swap out the handle. Buy a new handle and swap it. BTW...I'm sure the next generation will be nice have some strong points but it'll have its problems too so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigmurdock