Mercedes GL450 or Yukon Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theodore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the Mercedes GL line? The 2015 GL450 comes with a twin turbo V6 with 362 hp. It would cost me about 10k more than the Denali. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the Mercedes GL line? The 2015 GL450 comes with a twin turbo V6 with 362 hp. It would cost me about 10k more than the Denali. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think you mean a twin-turbo V8. My former boss had the diesel version and loved it. They have 2 Cayenne diesel's and love those even more.

I'm no help. Sorry!

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
The GL is nice BUUUT you have to look at maintenance. Mercedes are very very expensive up keeping. But new you get the warranty. But to me the new Denali interior and exterior look a lot better.

ssparks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did. I just got a 15 escalade, so you know my answer. To get a comparably equipped GL you have to be ready to really spend some money.

OP
OP
T

theodore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My dad has the Infiniti QX80, and he really likes it. Any thoughts on it?

ssparks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife initially liked the Infiniti. (And our other cars are infinitis). I vetoed it pretty much exclusively based on looks. I just think it's going to look very dated in a few years. The interior seems to be a generation behind in styling. Big swoopy curves and overwrought in general. I wanted to like it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GL is nice BUUUT you have to look at maintenance. Mercedes are very very expensive up keeping. But new you get the warranty. But to me the new Denali interior and exterior look a lot better.

Dealer by me offers oil changes for life for $600.00 at the time of purchase, if looking at a new MB I would ask if they offer something like this. Only reason I got rid of my old C230 was the maintenance charges.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're asking on a GM forum so I can guess what other members are gonna say lol. Overall you will spend less on the denali on price and maintenance, plus it looks better too :)

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its easy to buy and Mercedes. Tough to keep it.

Almost like having a hot model. You better be ready to entertain her..... in dining, in stores, and in bed.

Oh and Nissans are ugly imo

Last edited:

Midcont

Reaction score
We have a 2014 GL350, that's the diesel version and I'm still waiting for our Yukon XL. We'll have both. The Yukon is much larger and my wife doesn't want to drive it daily, but we use it for lots of people or moving lots of stuff.
I can say that if I didn't need the space the Yukon offers on a reasonably frequent basis, and if I had to choose one or the other, the MB is by far the more premium vehicle.
The quality of the ride, the controls, the tactile feedback is leagues better than the GM product. The price difference to me seems more like healthy markup for GM than on par engineering and materials. I'm not knocking the Yukon. It's an amazing truck and serves it's purpose but to me, the GL is just much better. Also, my experience with the new Yukon consists of two lengthy test drives and crawling all over it. I sold my 2004 Denali XL a few weeks ago.
My wife came from a 11 GL (the previous generation) and that was nice also, but the new one is much better.
One nice feature it offers is the 360 camera which makes parking such a large vehicle a pleasure. I was shocked the Yukon, even in Denali trim didn't offer this (yet). Seems like a big lapse to me.
We leased this and the prior MB and I got pretty good deals for both. Long term, maintenance is not a huge concern. Prepare for brake pads and rotors at 20-30k miles and big but not crazy service bill every 10k or so miles. We have had no quality issues with either in the time we have had them that I can recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA